1. We are excited to announce we have added over 80 audio book titles to the Media Library Catalog. All of these titles are directly from the ELA Module Text List. They are bookable through the Media Portal. Note- we are still working on updating these records with other informational pieces, but they are fully searchable and bookable.
2. I will be sending out information about an Online Professional Development opportunity with other school librarians across the state. This will be an online class focusing on technology tools. A short video about this class can be viewed: https://present.me/view/90620-cool-tools-for-schools-2013-14.
3. Michelle Costello from SUNY Geneseo asked that this be shared with your teachers:
· I am teaching a (library) workshop this semester on open educational resources and was hoping to gather some data ahead of time. I would like to survey classroom teachers about the types of free or inexpensive resources they are using in their classes. I will share this information with my teacher candidates in the workshop. I was hoping that you could get the survey link out to the teachers that you know and work with.
4. Jane Reeves shared a great article called: 7 Tips for Making your Principal Your Ally. It is a very quick read and worth checking out! http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/2013/9/10/7-tips-for-making-your-principal-your-ally.html
5. Suzanne Shearman, from Brockport Barclay Elementary School, is wondering who out there is teaching Net Safety to their students. If you are teaching this subject, can you please email Suzanne and let her know.
6. Reminder- please be sure to change any of your bookmarks from our old website (teachersites.schoolworld.com) to the new site (www.monroe2boces.org/sls). Note- we still have to bring over Professional Development and Common Core Central. For now, those are still on the old site.
7. Upcoming Professional Development Classes (no cost to attend):
· Thursday Sept 19 from 3:45-4:45- Destiny Back to School (for library staff only)
· The Axis 360 eBook class is cancelled. Stay tuned for more information
· Thursday October 3 from 3:45-5:15- Free Online Primary Sources. This is a repeat class which was taught last year by Cathi Franchino. It is also open to all teachers (please spread the word)
· For a full description of each workshop, please visit: http://www.monroe2boces.org/SLS.cfm?subpage=2923
8. Each week we want to highlight an awesome app available to our school communities. One of our eBook partners, Sylvan Dell contains a collection of 80+ picture eBooks with a heavy concentration on Math, Science and Geography. Each eBooks also contains a teacher’s guide, handouts, lexile and Fountas & Pinnell level, and can be fully translated into Spanish. Additionally, each book has an audio component (also will read in Spanish). When the app is downloaded, it will ask you if you have an account- choose YES. There will be a 6 digit school code. If you need the code resent, please let me know. Note- this is something that can be shared with parents as they can download onto home devices. Apple Store Link: SYLVAN DELL READER
9. Over the summer, 5 Systems (our regional InterLibrary Loan catalog) was updated. There are sporadic performance issues with the system where it is running slowly. They are working on this issue. If you experience any issues, please let us know.