1. We are offering a new Online Professional Development course for librarians in our region! We are partnering with 14 other School Library Systems across the state to offer “Cool Tools” to our librarians. Participants will be presented with 10 different topics and will learn/apply those topics (this will run from November to May).
· Attached is a handout about the course
· Also attached is a DRAFT list of topics
· To view a video about this online course please visit: https://present.me/view/90620-cool-tools-for-schools-2013-14
· We do have a limited number of seats for this (currently we have 5 seats reserved)
· PD Credit will be awarded for doing this (explained in the handout)
· If you are interested in doing this, please contact Jim Belair
2. Information for your BEDS report:
· Total number of databases you have access to: 11 from NOVELny PLUS 4 from BOCES PLUS total number your library purchases (for MS and HS, count the Gale databases here)
· Total number of eBooks: 1,478 from BOCES PLUS total number your library purchased on your own
3. Upcoming Professional Development Workshops:
· Thursday October 3 from 3:45-5:15- Free Online Primary Sources. This is a repeat class which was taught last year by Cathi Franchino. Currently, only 1 person is enrolled! The course received a lot of positive remarks. There will be a focus on resources from the Library of Congress. This is open to all teachers (please spread the word)
· Thursday October 10 from 3:45-4:45- Supporting Science- the new Science Standards and what School Librarians Need to Know. This will be taught by the ESP staff and will take place at the ESP building. This is intended for all librarians working with grades K-12!
· Thursday October 17 from 3:45-4:45- NOVELny Databases Update. Learn what changes took place in NOVELny and what is now accessible. There are a ton of resources for students and teachers in grades K-12. This is open to all library staff and teachers (please spread the word)
· Thursday October 24 from 3:45-4:45- Dynamic Destiny Home Page. If you have a district library page or other site where you maintain all your library resources, we will show you how to embed that site so Destiny becomes a comprehensive virtual library that will meet the information needs of today's students.
· For a full description of each workshop, please visit: http://www.monroe2boces.org/SLS.cfm?subpage=2923
5. Attached is a copy of current workshops being offered by RRLC.
6. Media Department Reminders:
· Watson’s go to Birmingham is available through Off-Air recording. If you would like a copy on DVD, please use the Off Air Request Form. Just indicate the show (no need to list channel or time)
· Reminder- if you would like BOCES to train any faculty members (department/grade level meetings, full faculty meetings, drop in visit, before school collegial circle…), please let us know
7. App of the Week: Brain Pop
· From the Apple Store: Brain Pop https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brainpop-featured-movie/id364894352?mt=8
· From the Apple Store: Brain Pop JR https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brainpop-jr.-movie-of-the-week/id536371867?mt=8
· Users can use this to access short animated movies and then complete an animated quiz
· With a paid subscription, students can access all the various videos across the curriculum. Click on the lower left hand corner and enter your school’s info. If you are unsure, please contact Patti Rose.
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|