1. Media Dept Update:
· We have a trial active for new elementary and middle school science streaming video. If we purchase, they would be added to the media portal
ii. Username: VL0313 and Password: LION (Good Until the end of this week)
iii. Username: VL0413 and Password: BEE (Good from April 1-April 15)
· Airing this week on PBS is 180 Days: A Year Inside an American High School. Teachers can submit requests via the online request form. For more information on this series, please visit: http://180schooldays.org
· New audio book: Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
2. Reminder, this is the last week for STEM products in the Destiny Digital Resources Tab. When you return from April break, they will be gone. Also, this will be the last time Follett pushes out a free trial to a product.
3. Attached is an updated and corrected application for the SSL Summer Leadership Institute held in Ithaca. This is a great retreat for school librarians that I would highly recommend.
4. Online Database trial for Gale Opposing Viewpoints: http://www.galetrials.com/default.aspx?TrialID=52499;ContactID=40863. This trial is active until April 23.
5. If you are interested in teaching a session at this year’s Tech Camp for School Librarians (August 21), please let me know.
6. Attached is information regarding the Joseph F. Shubert Library of Excellence Award. The Award will recognize a New York State library or library consortium that has taken significant steps to improve the quality of library service to its users. This year, the award of $1,000 is sponsored again through the generosity of the Friends of the New York State Library (http://www.nyslfriends.org).
7. Reminder, if you would like anyone from Library Automation OR the Media Department to present to teachers, librarians, or library staff during a superintendent’s conference day, please let us know.
8. Early Bird Registration for the SSL Conference is extended through April 15! This conference is April 25-April 27, but you would only need to miss one day of school: April 26. There are several workshops and vendors that would be of interest to librarians from all grade levels. For more information, please visit: http://sslspring2013.wordpress.com/.
9. If anyone is interested in purchasing PRINT versions of any of the Sylvan Dell eBooks, please let Patti Rose know and she can send you a catalog with pricing information.
10. Media Literacy Grant: For the past several years, the New York State Educational Media/Technology Association has awarded competitive grants to educators in New York State to fund projects in media literacy education. This year, applications are due May 24, 2013 for projects planned during the 2013-1014 school year. The grant is in the amount of $1,000 for New York certified classroom teachers or school librarians who are working with K-12 students on media literacy. Media literacy is defined as the ability to comprehend, design, and produce media. It includes critical thinking skills used to evaluate and analyze information in a variety of formats. Media literacy is essential to be able to distinguish between fact and fiction.
· The application and more information about the grant can be found at: http://www.edmediatech.org. The Monroe 2 Orleans BOCES Media Library is a member of this organization.
11. SAVE THE DATE: We will be working with other area library systems to bring in Kathy Baxter this summer on July 18. Kathy is an expert in children’s literature and she will be presenting best new books for elementary children with a focus on non-fiction. More information to follow.
|doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|