1. Earlier today I sent out a message to librarians about working collaboratively with other School Library Systems creating recommended resources for the ELA Curriculum Modules (listing alternative resources such as books, eBooks, databases and media for the 3-8 grade modules). Please be sure to let Jim know if you are interested in working on this and which modules our BOCES should choose.
2. The webpage for the BOCES Media Department has been updated. To log into the Media Portal, there is now a widget on the Media Page (www.monroe2boces.org/medialibrary) which allows users to sign in directly from this page. At the bottom of the page, coding is available which will allow you to have this widget on your own library’s webpage! For help setting this up, please contact Joshua Perks.
· Use for iPod Shuffle Audio Books
· Use for Flip Camcorders and Digital Still Cameras
· Learn 360 Video Streaming
· CCC! Stem Video Streaming
· DVD and VHS Tapes
· Borrow Nook readers
· Nintendo DS
· Plus More!!
3. GROLIER is offering a web/ex training which will focus on the five new online resources available from NOVELNY - Amazing Animals of the World, America the Beautiful, The New Book of Popular Science, Lands and Peoples, and La Nueva Enciclopedia Cumbre.
· February 7, 3:30-4:30pm: https://scholastic.webex.com/scholastic/onstage/g.php?d=656021181&t=a
· February 27, 3:00-4:00pm: https://scholastic.webex.com/scholastic/onstage/g.php?d=654845488&t=a
4. PBS is in the process of updating VITAL NY (video streaming and other resources from PBS). Part of the update is adding thousands of additional items available for students and teachers. Attached is a document from PBS about the update. We are working with PBS to have all the content updated within our Media Portal. Stay tuned for additional information. If you have any questions, please contact Joshua Perks.
· A link to the February, 2013 WXXI Education e-Newsletter.
5. Hilton Quest Elementary School Library is in the running for a Follett Challenge Grant. Please take a moment and vote for Quest Library! The grant is for an innovative school that is preparing students for the 21st century. 30% of the score is based on how many votes they receive. People can vote once a day throughout March 15th. http://www.follettchallenge.com/video.cfm?id=372.
6. Update on Webster Thomas’ fundraiser for the families impacted by the Christmas Eve events in Webster. They were able to meet their goal! The librarian, Trish Warren, will be shaving her head.
7. Upcoming PD:
· Using eBooks in the classroom (for teachers and librarians): Feb 13 (7:30-8:30) OR Feb 14 (3:45-4:45)
· NOVEL NY Databases (for teachers and librarians): Feb 27 (7:30-8:30) OR Feb 28 (3:45-4:45). Note- every teacher and student in NY has access to these resources, many of which are aligned to Common Core Standards
· Primary Sources (for teachers and librarians): March 7 (3:45-5:15)
· Cataloging with Mitnet (library staff only): March 13 (7:30-8:30) OR March 14 (3:45-4:45)
8. Reminder- if your school is thinking of setting up a Book Room to house the leveled reading books, please contact Library Automation (LAT@monroe2boces.org) for help, guidance, and assistance.
9. Thank you to everyone who responded to the brief survey from NYLA. 13 librarians from our region responded.
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|