1. If you have any questions about CCC! STEM Videos, please let either Jim or Joshua know. To access the videos, please log into the Media Portal.
· For a full listing of all the new STEM content, click here
2. Upcoming Professional Development:
· Elementary Librarian Roundtable on Feb 6 ( 3:45-5:15)
· Secondary Librarian Roundtable on Feb 7 (3:45-5:15)
· Using eBooks in the classroom (for teachers and librarians): Feb 13 (7:30-8:30) OR Feb 14 (3:45-4:45)
· NOVEL NY Databases (for teachers and librarians): Feb 27 (7:30-8:30) OR Feb 28 (3:45-4:45). Note- every teacher and student in NY has access to these resources, many of which are aligned to Common Core Standards
3. The MARC records for the new eBooks from ebrary are now uploaded. Attached is a spreadsheet listing the books along with the grade level and lexile information.
4. Section of School Librarian Conference (April 2013 in Rochester)
· Attached is a copy of the registration form
· Facilitators are needed for each workshop and to help with the Knickerbocker Raffle. If you are interested in assisting at the conference, please contact Dawn Pressimone (email@example.com)
· The Knickerbocker Award is seeking basket donations for the SSL Conference. This award recognizes a New York State author who has demonstrated, through a body of work, a consistently superior quality which supports the curriculum and the educational goals of New York State School. For more information, please contact Claudine Dixon or Dawn Pressimone
5. The Media Department now has 10 digital camera available for teachers to sign out. To borrow the cameras, please use the Media Portal
6. CQ Researcher has supplied our region with a trial to their online database until Feb 28. To access, please visit: http://library.cqpress.com/. Username is monroe2 and password is researcher.
· If there are any other Online Databases you would like to trial, please contact Patti Rose (firstname.lastname@example.org)
· Last week I sent out the trial information for Gale, InfoBase Learning, and ProQuest
7. NYLA is seeking information on the impact budget cuts have had to school libraries. To comment, please complete this very brief survey. Please comment by Feb 6, 2012.
8. General reminders about Inter Library Loan:
· Use Five Systems to borrow books from any school library from Monroe 2, Monroe 1, RCSD, WFL, or GV BOCES regions.
· New Feature to Five Systems is the ability to easily repeat a request for multiple copies of the same book from different libraries
· Please make sure you accept or decline the requests you have received
· We have the ability to borrow (for free) from Monroe County Library System and ALL the area colleges and universities. For these libraries, use World Cat to locate a book and email the request to Patti Rose (email@example.com)
· On the SLS Website, we have widgets for both Five Systems and World Cat that you can place on your website
9. In case you were not aware….the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) sponsors the Orbis Pictus Award for Outstanding Nonfiction for Children. They recently announced the 2013 winners of this award. I would suggest taking a look at the award winners and some of the Honor Books as this is a great way to identify high quality informational texts. To learn more about the Orbis Pictus Award, please visit: http://www.ncte.org/awards/orbispictus.
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.|
|Excel Microsoft Office Open XML Format Spreadsheet|