1. At the November NYLA conference, the Regents Advisory Council Library 2020 Vision was reviewed. The list of 60 priorities from the plan were reviewed and several were identified as a top priority. Of interest to schools is recommendation 11: Expand the existing Commissioner’s Regulations (91.2) to require an elementary school librarian in every school to strengthen instructional leadership in meeting the P-12 Common Core Learning Standards, and enforce library staffing regulations in all public schools.
2. The December 12 and 13 Updating Five Systems Classes is cancelled. In its place is a repeat of eBooks Part 2. This class will go over the various eBook vendors and types of eBooks available to students and teachers in our region. You do NOT need to have attended part 1 of this workshop to attend. It is geared towards teachers and librarians.
3. An example of a great school library newsletter sent to staff from Hilton Quest Elementary school: https://questrockstar.pbworks.com/w/page/61283682/Library%20News%20Volume%203.
4. If you are experience issues with viewing the Marshall Cavendish eBooks, try clearing your browser and cookies. This should fix the problem.
5. On December 17th and 18th we will be moving the eBook Follett Destiny Catalog onto a new consortium level server. As a result:
· The Follett Destiny Site will be down for those two days
· The web address will be changing for the Follett Destiny eBook site. This will be a onetime only change.
· As a result of the change, you will need to update the URL for the Destiny eBook site. Also, if you have any eBooks in a resource list, those will also need to be updated. I will send out what the new URL will be.
· Jane and Karen will update the Visual Catalog set up for the school in the Library Automation CoSER
· The links from the website (http://www.monroe2boces.org/ebooks) will NOT be affected
· If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know!
6. Joanne Shawhan from State Education shared the following: NYSED has recently released list of texts for several of the Grades 3-5 ELA curriculum modules. It is an Excel file with ISBNs. The texts listed in this document cover Module 1, Module 2A, and Module 3 of the Grades 3-5 English Language Arts curriculum from Expeditionary Learning. When complete there will be four modules for each grade (lasting 8-10 weeks each). The text lists can be found at http://engageny.org/resource/texts-from-expeditionary-learning or http://engageny.org/resource/network-team-institute-materials-november-26-29-2012. Obviously, more to come.
7. Reminder, the School Library System has partnered with the Democrat and Chronicle to provide FREE Online Access to the newspaper. To access the paper, choose the D&C option from the Instructional Resources part of the SLS Website: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/randl.cfm. The Username and Password are the usual district based passwords from SLS related items.
8. We are thrilled with the turnout for the Common Core Unit Planning using Information Fluency Continuum! Reminder, all of the assessments from the IFC are available as a Word Document. To access them, please visit: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/professional.cfm?subpage=1610231.