1. Over the past year, there have been a ton of various items thrown at school librarians for us to be aware of: Informational Brief on School Libraries, Regents Advisory Council 2020 Vision, IFC, APPR..the list goes on! I put all these various items onto one webpage. If you think there are other critical documents that school librarians need to be aware of, let me know and I will add them. http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/common.cfm?subpage=1671550. Note- this is under the Common Core Central section of the SLS webpage
2. At the end of last month, a thank you breakfast was held for NY State Assemblymen and Senators from the area Library Systems (the 5 SLS, MCLS, Pioneer, and RRLC). A video called “Help Wanted: Looking for Library Champions” was shared. To view the video, please visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPbSvejyNhs&feature=youtu.be
3. The Empire State Information Fluency Continuum has been updated. Our website for this has also been updated. http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/professional.cfm?subpage=1610231. Reminder, we still have a few slots left for the November and December workshop sessions on Common Core Unit Planning using IFC. I am attaching the registration form. If you plan on attending, please RSVP ASAP to Patti Rose. Also, if you would like a print version of the IFC document, please let Patti know.
4. I wanted to share an interesting article about digital identify (uses Facebook as an example): http://fno.org/Nov2012/Saving%20Face.html.
5. A message from DLD (State Ed): The United States Board on Books for Young People (USBBY) has been awarded the sponsorship of the 2013 International Children’s Book Day, which is traditionally celebrated on April 2, Hans Christian Andersen's birthday. Artist Ashley Bryan and poet Pat Mora have created an inspirational poster themed Bookjoy! Around the World. A Resource Guide with plans for programs and lessons to celebrate the day is being prepared. I encourage you to submit your ideas for inspiring a love of reading and cultural understanding and awareness on the International Children’s Book Day page on the USBBY website.
6. Reminder, the deadline to submit information for the NovelNY Database survey is 11/20. The survey can be found by visiting: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NOVELNY2013. This is your chance to tell State Ed what Databases you would like to see added to NovelNY and the ones that are not highly used!
7. As we continue to examine what we do and how we do it, I wanted to remind everyone to take a look at the Common Core Anchor Standards for ELA. I have attached exerts that highlight the various anchor standards.
8. Reminder, Jane and Karen are in the midst of updating everyone to Destiny 10.5. You will be prompted to enter BOTH your TitleWave and Follett Shelf information into the system. If you have questions on this, please contact the Library Automation Team (Lat@monroe2boces.org).
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|