1. We are in the process of putting together the SLS Professional Development schedule for the Spring semester. If there are any specific courses you would like to see added, please let me know.
2. Thank you to our SLS Council Representatives for discussing the Information Fluency Continuum with everyone! I am pleased to announce it was endorsed by all our districts. In the very near future, the IFC book will be re-printed as the Empire State Information Fluency Continuum. At that time I will provide a copy to whoever would like one. If you are interested in a copy, please contact Patti Rose.
· There is still several spaces available for the Common Core Unit Planning Workshops taking place in November or December. Please let us know if you are interested in attending!
· If you are in the process of re-working your district’s library curriculum, I would strongly recommend taking a look at the Priority Benchmark Skills in the IFC.
3. World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) invite libraries and schools to participate in the WrestleMania Reading Challenge! The Challenge is a great way to reach reluctant readers, and your library or school could win $2,000 from WWE to spend on your tween/teen collection! 18 lucky tweens/teens chosen as regional winners will also win a trip for them and a parent/guardian to WrestleMania 29 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ (a $5,000 value). Register by November 2, 2012. For more information, please visit: http://www.ala.org/yalsa/teenreading/wrmc/wrmc.
4. Reminder, we are collecting library-related Apps. If you have any you would like to share, please let Karen Mitchell know!
5. Patti has re-worked our Library Directory into a two page excel spreadsheet. Please take a look and let Patti know if any changes need to be made. Once all changes are made we will send out a final version.
6. Reminder, each month Patti is sending librarians usage statistics for ALL Online Database and eBook use. If you have any questions on the data or how it is collected, please let Patti know.
7. Attached is a letter from the American Library Association regarding a recent legal ruling around Copyright and Fair Use.
8. We are still having difficulty with the Sylvan Dell eBook MARC records (this is ONLY if you are using the Destiny site). If you are using the direct link on the eBook page for the Sylvan Dell site, there should not be any issues. If you run into problems, please contact Jane, Karen, or Jim!
9. New this year…schools will be able to directly purchase promotional items for New York State Summer Reading programs. Please see the attached CSLP School Catalog for information.
10. Attached is Online Database trial information from World Book. If you would like pricing on any product, please contact Patti Rose. Note, it also includes information for a Science and a Social Studies textbook database.
11. Reminder, the 3 Apples Book Award committee is seeking nominations from students for their favorite new book! All nominations must be entered into the website (www.3applesbookaward.org) by midnight on October 31st. The nomination password is apples2013. (Please don’t hand out the password to the students.)
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|
|Excel Microsoft Office Open XML Format Spreadsheet|