1. Media Dept Updates:
· New audio books available on the iPod Shuffles: Joey Pigza series, Hole in my Life, Rotten Ralph series
· Recordings of the Presidential Debates are available. If you would like a copy on DVD, please fill out the off-air request form.
· If you would like to have any other items taped off air, please complete this form: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/forms.cfm?myform=15279
· We just purchased the latest copy of Carrie Russell’s book on copyright (print format) Complete Copyright. The book is available via the Media Portal.
2. We are putting together a listing of various library related Apps. If you have an App you use in the library, please let me know and we will add it to our list. We will then be putting these up on our webpage.
3. Reminder, I am looking for librarians who are willing to help assign grade levels to the Sylvan Dell and the DK eBooks. To date, only one person has volunteered.
4. Upcoming Monroe 2 SLS PD Workshops:
· World Book: Thursday October 18 3:45-5:15 for teachers and librarians (only 3 people are registered, so tons of room)
· Marc Aronson: Wednesday October 24 (Webster Public Library) OR Thursday October 25 (Greece Public Library) ALL DAY for teachers, librarians, and administrators
· Creating Pathfinders using Visual Search: Wednesday October 31 (7:30-8:30) OR Thursday November 1 (3:45-4:45) for librarians
· SMART Boards for Librarian: Wednesday November 7 (7:30-8:30) OR Thursday November 8 (3:45-4:45) for librarians
· Ensemble Workshop: Thursday November 15 (3:45-5:15) for teachers, librarians, administrators in Gates Chile, Hilton or Spencerport
· Regional eBook Collection, part 2: Wednesday November 28 (7:30-8:30) OR Thursday November 29 (3:45-4:45) for teachers, librarians, administrators
· Common Core Unit Planning using Information Fluency Continuum: November 29 AND 30 (all day) for teachers, librarians and administrators
5. WXXI Update
· WXXI is looking for students in grades 4-12 who can do a Book Report to be aired on TV’s Homework Hotline. They are looking for 5-7 students, WXXI will come to your school and videotape the students giving book report. Attached is more information and who to contact if you are interested! Please c/c me if you contact them.
· Attached is the October WXXI Newsletter highlighting various events taking place in town and also on-air.
6. Syracuse and UB are holding Open Houses for prospective students interested in obtaining their MLS
· UB: November 8 from 5-7 http://gse.buffalo.edu/news-and-events/10457
· Syracuse: October 27 http://ischool.syr.edu/future/grad/openhouse.aspx
7. Wayne Finger Lakes BOCES SLS is holding two upcoming full day Professional Development opportunities
· Kathleen O’Dean: Best Books for Grades 6-12 on January 9, 2012
· Library Leadership Academy (LLA): November 1, 2012
8. Attached are current Professional Development activities from RRLC. Note, many of these are in the evening during their Pizza Nights.
9. The NYS Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services’ Office of Cyber Security (DHSES/OCS) is hosting the “NYS K-12 Kids Safe Online Poster Contest” during the month of October as part of “National Cyber Security Awareness Month” activities. An informational flyer that can be distributed to all parents, teachers and students in NYS public, private and home-schools, inviting students to participate in the contest can be found on the DHSES/OCS website at http://www.dhses.ny.gov/ocs/awareness-training-events/events/2012/2012-13poster.cfm. This is a great opportunity for teachers to talk to students about being safe while on the Internet and when using computers and mobile devices. This year the contest has four entry categories: Kindergarten – Grade 2, Grades 3-5, Grades 6-8 and Grades 9-12. NYS winners will be entered into the MS-ISAC National Computer Security Poster Contest which is held in the spring. National contest winning posters will be included in the 2014 Annual MS-ISAC calendar distributed in the fall of 2013.
10. Today’s Google Search Page is really cool! It is in honor of the cartoon strip Little Nemo.
11. The 16th Annual Rochester Children’s Book Festival is November 10 from 10AM-4PM at MCC. For more information and to see the list of visiting authors, please visit: http://www.rochesterchildrensbookfestival.org
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|