1. At this week’s SLS Council Meeting, we had several agenda items which your district reps will be taking back to each district for discussion. A few of the key items:
· Our SLS Council will be voting on whether or not to endorse the Information Fluency Continuum. Note- endorsing does not mean adopting.
· According to NY State Regulations, we must do a Member Plan. Your district reps will be discussing this with you
2. For those in the Library Automation COSER- Karen Mitchell sent out information on Mitinet for MARC record clean up, enhancement, and adding reading levels. If you have any questions, please be sure to contact the Library Automation Team.
3. New Audio Books available for student and teacher use: The Glass Castle: A Memoir – Dead End in Norvert – Amelia Bedelia Story Collection – Blueberries for Sal – The Snowy Day – Owl Babies – Happy Birthday Moon -- Stellaluna
4. We have received several requests for the new Brochure which outlines various digital resources and tools available to students and teachers from the Media Dept and SLS. We will be sending brochures to each school to share with your entire faculty.
5. Soundzabound updates:
· As of last week, soundzabound is now IP Authenticated for each school. This means when you are in school you will no longer need to log in to use the product
· With Halloween around the corner, I wanted to remind everyone we purchased a new sound effects volume called Scary Soundz
6. Upcoming Professional Development:
· eBooks Part 1: Wednesday Oct 3 7:30-8:30 OR Thursday Oct 4 3:45-4:45 (librarians and teachers)
· Learn 360: Wednesday Oct 10 7:30-8:30 OR Thursday Oct 11 3:45-4:45 (librarians and teachers)
· World Book: Wednesday October 18 3:45-5:15 (teachers and librarians)
· Using Non-Fiction to Support Common Core (Marc Aronson): Wednesday Oct 24 OR Thursday Oct 25 (teachers, administrators, librarians)
· Creating Pathfinders using Visual Search: Wednesday Oct 31 7:30-8:30 OR Thursday Nov 1 3:45-4:45 (librarians)
7. Scholastic is offering a free trial to a new Online Database called Freedom Flix until 11/15/2012. http://freedomflix.scholastic.com/freetrial Username: flixfreedom Password: wind
8. With the addition of the new databases from Grolier (NovelNY additions), attached is a flyer from Grolier outlining Common Core connections to their product
9. There are still free copies of Marshall Cavendish print books. See the attached list. If interested, please contact Patti Rose
10. Reminder, nominations are being sought for the New York State 3 Apples Book Award. Have your students nominate their favorite new book! Please visit www.3applesbookaward.org for additional information
11. The MLS Program at the University at Buffalo is seeking libraries that are interested in having students do special projects for them. The projects are meant for library science students to have exposure in the field doing activities (this is NOT student teaching). If you are interested in having a UB Student, please visit http://gse.buffalo.edu/lis/practica
12. Attached is a listing of upcoming workshops sponsored by RRLC
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|Excel Microsoft Office Open XML Format Spreadsheet|