1. Dr. Marc Aronson will be presenting to our region in October. This full day workshop is called: Using Non-Fiction to Support Common Core Learning Standards. It is FREE and open to all teachers, administrators and librarians. October 24: Webster Public Library and October 25 at the Greece Public Library. This is being done in conjunction with Monroe #1 BOCES as part of our LSTA Grant.
2. Reminder, if you would like copies for your teachers of the new Techno-Tools Brochure highlighting the Instructional Media and SLS Resources, please let Patti Rose (firstname.lastname@example.org) know. Attached is a copy of the brochure.
3. Reminder- be sure to check your 5 Systems ILL every day. If you are not sure what this is, please let us know!
4. On Monday September 17, WXXI and the Little Theatre are hosting a screening of The Weight of the Nation, which is a film that explores the Obesity Epidemic in America. This will then be followed by a discussion. Admission is FREE and is on a first come, first serve basis.
5. Marcia McCarthy shared a Common Core Math resource from New Jersey Center For Teaching and Learning - Common Core lessons K-12. http://njctl.org/courses/math/.
6. The ALA Public Programs Office is now accepting nominations for the 2013 Sara Jaffarian School Library Program Award for Exemplary Humanities Programming. School libraries, public or private, that served children in any combination of grades K-8 and conducted humanities programs during the 2011-2012 school year are eligible. Applications and award guidelines are available at www.ala.org/jaffarianaward. To be considered, nominations must be received by the ALA Public Programs Office by December 15. The winner will receive $4,000! I have more information on this- if interested let me know and I will forward it on to you.
7. Please take a look at the Online Library Directory: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/member.cfm. If you see any names which need to be added or deleted, please let Patti Rose know.
8. The Teen Book Festival (TBF) is holding a Read-a-Thon fundraiser at Barnes & Noble on Saturday, October 13. Attached is information about this event. For more information, please visit the TBF website at: http://www.teenbookfestival.org.
9. Due to our eBook partnership with Marshall Cavendish, they sent us several free print books from their various reference sets (we have the eBook version of them available). Attached is a listing of the various titles we have and how many copies of each. If you would like one of the sets, please email Patti Rose and she will send it to you. First come, first serve….
10. To access Assignment The World Online, please visit: http://atwonline.org/watch. Username: wxxi Password: currentevents
11. I have received a lot of questions around Student Learning Objectives (SLOs) for Librarians. On August 13, State Education released new guidelines regarding librarians and SLOs. According to the new guidance, only librarians who are teachers of record are required to have a SLO for the 2012-2013 School Year. A teacher of record is defined by the school district. For more information please visit EngageNY or the APPR section of the SLS Website: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/common.cfm?subpage=1562946. On the Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES SLS site is the actual guidance, sample librarian SLOs, and a link to a wiki developed by Mary Ratzer and Linda Fox which deals exclusively with Librarians and SLOs.
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|