Please see below for various informational items from the Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES School Library System. If you know of anyone else which should be added, please let Jim Belair know.
1. If anyone is having Online Database issues, please contact Patti Rose (firstname.lastname@example.org) and she can help straighten them out. Additionally, if anyone is interested in changing your Online Database password information, please contact Patti and she can contact the companies on your behalf.
2. Three of our districts, Hilton, Gates-Chili, and Spencerport are piloting Ensemble. Ensemble is a user-created content storage and retrieval system for students and teachers to use. Think of it as a closed YouTube system. Stay tuned during the course of the school year for more information on this topic.
3. Attached is a listing of Professional Development eBooks (most are from ASCD) available to all within our region. Note, all of these titles allow for unlimited simultaneous access on mobile devices. If you have questions on how to access or use the eBooks, please let us know.
4. Reminder- the Instructional Resources link (http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/randl.cfm) on the SLS site contains a link to most of the resources and services available to your students and teachers. Please be sure to share this link within your buildings!
5. Applications are now being accepted for the NYLA SSL Awards (New York Library Association Section of School Librarians). This can be used to fund a special project or attendance at the 2013 SSL Conference. The application is due by November 9, 2012. For more information, please visit: http://www.nyla.org/max/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=232&MenuKey=ssl.
6. This fall, three different sessions are planned for the Common Core Unit Planning using Information Fluency Continuum workshop. Please see the attached flyer for information.
7. Upcoming Professional Development Opportunities:
a. Sept 19 7:30-8:30: Instructional Resources from the SLS & Media Dept (all teachers, librarians and administrators)
b. Sept 20 3:45-4:45 Instructional Resources from the SLS & Media Dept (all teachers, librarians and administrators)
c. Sept 27 3:45-5:15: Ensemble Video Training (all teachers, librarians, and administrators from piloting districts)
d. Sept 17 AND Sept 18 all day: Common Core Unit Planning (held at WFL BOCES for teachers, librarians and administrators)
8. Each year, Beloit College creates a Mindset List which helped shape the thinking and mindset of incoming freshmen. It is worth checking out! http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2016/.
9. On the SLS website, Jane Reeves created a password protected site for your district. This site contains various informational items which are for librarian access only. Examples include: a copy of Online Database passwords, direct links for Follett Destiny catalogs… If there are any other informational items you think would be beneficial, please let us know. The site is: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/useful.cfm and scroll down along the left hand side to see your district.
10. A Back to School message from NYS Commissioner of Education, John King, is available from EngageNY: http://engageny.org/resource/back-to-school-message-2012/.
11. Previous SLS Weekly Updates are archived on the SLS Website: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/weeklyupdates.cfm.
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|