1. Reminder, please fill out the End of Year Evaluation: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/forms.cfm?myForm=17328. The evaluation should take around 15 minutes to complete. To date, 24 librarians have responded.
2. Summer Professional Development Opportunities. RRLC has additional Summer School sessions (https://workshops.rrlc.org/orgmain.asp?orgId=19).
· Common Core Unit Planning using Information Fluency: July 17 AND July 18 (More information coming soon)
· Free Digital Collections with Michael Hunter (RRLC): July 24 from 9:00-12:00
· Destiny Home Page (RRLC): July 25 from 8:30-11:30
· Destiny Visual Search (RRLC): July 26 from 8:30-11:30
· Kathleen Odean- The Best New Young Adult Books For Grades 6-12 With A Special Focus On Nonfiction For The Common Core Standards (RRLC): August 13
· Tech Camp for School Librarians: August 22
3. Attached is an updated Soundzabound Brochure. It includes 3 newly purchased sound effects volumes: People Soundz, Sports Soundz and Scary Soundz.
4. Reminder, please fill out the InterLibrary Loan Statistics form. Clarification on the last three questions on the form: these are items you borrowed independently from 5 Systems (such as calling another school in your district and having them send you a book, having BOCES borrow a book from another library, going to the Public Library and borrowing a book on your own). The ILL stats form is located at: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/forms.cfm?myForm=17328. To date, 15 schools have responded.
5. Reminder, if you would like to register for the Common Core and Information Fluency Workshops please send in your form as space is limited.
6. Next year, the SSL (Section of School Librarians) Conference will be held in Rochester (April 2013). The planning committee is now accepting proposals for session workshops. Please see the attached form.
7. Attached is information for the Greater Rochester Teen Read event taking place in October. The featured author is Rochester’s very own Vivian Vande Velde.
8. A message from the Department of Library Development: "Summer Reading at New York Libraries" partners, Hunger Solutions New York, have asked that we share this grant information with school and public libraries throughout the state. The Lois Lenski Covey Foundation annually awards grants for the purchase of children’s books to rural and urban public and school libraries serving at-risk children in grades K-12. For information go to: http://www.healthinschools.org/News-Room/Grant-Alerts/Library-Grant-Program.aspx To learn more about Hunger Solutions New York and services available to public libraries please visit: http://www.summerreadingnys.org/librarians-educators/le-resources/#hunger.
9. In collaboration with the New York State Museum’s Department of Historical Archaeology, the New Netherland Institute will offer a free summer institute for elementary and middle school teachers and librarians. The institute, to be held at the New York State Museum in Albany, will explore the history of Dutch colonization of North America, focusing on what happened in New York State and the Capital District. The institute is designed to help educators implement the Common Core Learning Standards. Prominent scholars and educators will deliver lectures on the history of New Netherland; facilitate workshops on textual analysis and lesson development; and lead field trips to local historic sites—including a trip to an active archaeological dig. Please see attached for more information.
10. The Online Database ABC-CLIO is offering a limited time special promotion. Buy one NEW database and receive free access for a year to another database.
11. Attached are the minutes from the final SLS Council Meeting. If you have any questions, please let myself or your district representative know.
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|