1. Jane Reeves uploaded to the SLS website directions on how to create a personal account for eBrary eBooks (these are the professional/ASCD titles). A personal account will allow anyone within our region to download the eBook’s to an eReader, such as a Nook or iPad. For directions and a complete listing of various titles, please visit: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/ebook.cfm.
2. Joanne Shawhan shared an update regarding Student Learning Objectives:
The State Education Department has just revised and reposted the guidance materials on Student Learning Objectives (SLOs) which explain how New York State will assess the student learning growth of students in classrooms where there is no State assessment that can be used for a State-provided growth or value-added measure (sometimes called “non-tested subjects”).
These materials which were posted on March 9, 2012 in anticipation of the enactment of amendments to Education Law Section 3012-c proposed in February 2012 in Executive Budget legislation. These materials are subject to further revision.
· New York State District-wide Growth Goal Setting Process: Student Learning Objectives Road Map for Districts http://engageny.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/slo-roadmap.pdf
· New York State District-wide Growth Goal Setting Process: Student Learning Objectives Webinar 2 engageny.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/SLO-Webinar-2.ppt
· Assessment Options for SLOs: Reference Guide http://engageny.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Assessment-Options-for-SLOs.pdf
3. Reminder, if you are interested in attending the Stephen Abram presentation at Monroe #1 BOCES, please let Jim Belair know. The main focus will be on technology trends in school libraries, with an emphasis on eBooks and eTextbooks.
4. The Rochester Regional Library Council is putting together summer Professional Development topics geared towards school librarians. If there are specific items you would like workshops on, please let either RRLC or Jim Belair know.
5. Online Database CoSER Update
· We have received requests from several libraries asking to trial various databases. If there are any databases you are interested in viewing, please contact Patti Rose and she will set the trial up for you.
· Thank you to Patti Rose and all the librarians who have responded regarding the monthly database usage reports Patti has been creating. There are a few databases that the “kinks” for reporting are still being worked out. Once that is done, we will be sharing this information with various district administrators. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
· Patti Rose is beginning to assemble database pricing for the 2012-2013 school year. If there are databases you do not currently subscribe to and would like pricing on, please let Patti know.
6. The next SLS Council meeting is Tuesday, March 20. If you have any items you would like discussed, please let your district’s representative know. Please see that attached agenda for the Council Meeting.
7. InterLibrary Loan Reminders:
· We have the ability to borrow free of charge from Monroe County Library System and Pioneer Library System
· We have the ability to borrow free of charge from ALL area colleges, including: SUNY Brockport, SUNY Geneseo, University of Rochester, Rochester Institute of Technology, St. John Fisher, Nazareth, Monroe Community College, plus several others!
· Please remember to check for loan requests on a daily bases within 5 Systems. If you cannot lend a book, please let the other school know so they can look elsewhere for it
· Five Systems is now incorporated into Follett Destiny. If you have any questions on how this feature works, please contact the library automation team (LAT@monroe2boces.org).
8. I am working on the SLS End of Year Evaluation. One suggestion I received last year was to send it out BEFORE June, as that is a hectic time of year. I plan on sending this out end of April/beginning of May. If you have any suggestions on things to add/remove/change from last year’s survey please let me know. A copy of last year’s results may be found by visiting: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/sls.cfm?subpage=1469895.
|doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|