1. We just added a new eBook vendor which our High School AP and IB Students will find very useful and beneficial. We joined a state wide consortium of libraries (most are college libraries), who are using EBL (Electronic Book Library) to bring an extensive collection of upper level texts to their users. These texts are unlimited simultaneous access items. Note- the log in procedure differs for these eBooks compared to the rest of our collection. For more information, please see the attached EBL Information which contains information sent out to our High School librarians this past Wednesday.
2. Attached are the minutes from the September 24, 2013 SLS Council Meeting.
3. The Follett Challenge is back again this year. Don’t miss this opportunity to win your share of the $200,000 in Follett products and services for your school. Let Follett be your advocate in education: show us the innovative ways you are preparing students for the critical-thinking skills they need in the 21st century. Your video and written entry will be judged by our expert panel of education thought leaders and voted on by the world! The contest opens November 1st, when the entry form will be available on FollettChallenge.com!
· Last year, Hilton Quest Elementary School placed seventh in the voting of the top 100 entries (the top six receive prizes).
4. iPod Audio Books update:
· Please let your teachers know there may be a temporary delay in fulfilling order requests for the audio books. This is due to the iPod Shuffles not being returned on time
· We have an additional 150 units on order (in addition to the 150 already purchased since September). This will bring our total iPod Shuffle count from 550 to 700 units
5. The following librarians have signed up for the Cool Tools Online Professional Development: Jon Barleben, Angela Boccuzzi-Reichert, Marie Barron, Howard Enis, Ann Fox, Christine Gates, and Susan Swift. This is the last call if anyone else is interested. For more information on this, please refer to the SLS Update from 9/30/13.
6. There will be a legislative thank you breakfast on October 25 at the Henrietta Public Library from 8:30-10:00. This is sponsored by all the local library systems (RRLC, MCLS, M1, M2, WFL, RCSD, GV, and Pioneer). If you or ANY library supporter (spouse, retired colleague, any family member…) you know is able to attend, please consider attending and send me an RSVP.
7. WXXI is one of the sponsors for an episode of NPR’s From the Top which will be coming to the Kodak Hall on March 19, 2014. They are looking for young musicians to perform at this event. For more information, or for an application, please visit: http://wxxi.org/fromthetop. If you would like a nicely printed flyer for this event please contact Patti Rose.
8. The next RASL (Rochester Area School Librarians) meeting is October 23rd at 4:30. The meeting will take place at St. John Fisher and the theme is: “Fall into Books with RASL”. Attached is a membership application.
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|