SLS Update 2/27/2012
I hope everyone had an enjoyable break!
- Currently, there are over 150 overdue iPod Shuffles from the Media Library. As a result, we do not have any on the shelves to allow for new orders to be placed until we receive back the overdue ones. We have contacted those schools that have the overdue shuffles and we are waiting for them to be returned. We are also placing an order to purchase additional iPod shuffles. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact either Joshua or Jim.
- The area SLS Directors are finalizing the next LSTA Grant. To help guide us in making this the most worthwhile investment of your time and energies, we will be sending out a brief survey, stay tuned for more information on this.
- ASCD Professional Development Titles within the regional eBook Collection are now available for home access. To access from home, use your district’s generic home access eBook password to access the eBook. If you are unsure what it is, please contact anyone within the SLS. It is possible to download each title onto an eReader. In order to do so, users must create their own unique account. To create their own account, they must click on the sign in button in the top right corner and then scroll down and click on the Create an Account spot. We will be creating more detailed instructions on how to do this.
- The Teen Book Festival is holding a fundraiser at the Moonlight Creamery, 36 West Avenue in Fairport, on Monday, March 19, 2012 from 6:00pm to 9:00pm. Teen volunteers will be scooping and special celebrity guest Charles Benoit, TBF Author, will be there too! There will be raffles, prizes and more! A portion of the proceeds from the fundraiser will go directly to the Teen Book Festival. PLUS! All of the money raised will go toward the TBF Fundraising Challenge.
- The SLS team is putting together the 2012-2013 Professional Development Calendar for the School Library System. If you have ideas for any workshops that you would like to take OR workshops you would be interested in presenting, please let Jim know.
- In March, Jim will be jointly presenting a workshop to Public Librarians on Common Core Standards. If you have ideas or suggestions on how Public Libraries can support what is being done in schools, please let Jim know.
- Online Database Trial from Ebsco from now until the end of June. Attached is a listing of the various databases available. To access the trial, please visit: http://trial.ebscohost.com. Username: slsatrial Password: trial
- One of the best new features of Follett Destiny 10.0 is the Mobile App that will allow patrons to search your libraries collection on an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, or Android SMART phone. If you need help or assistance on setting this up, please contact the library automation team (email@example.com).
- Upcoming SLS Professional Development:
- February 29 (7:30-8:30) OR March 1 (3:30-4:30): Using QR Codes in the library
- March 7 (7:30-8:30) OR March 8 (3:30-4:30): Video Book Trailers using Windows Live Movie Maker. This is open to all teachers.
- March 21 (7:30-8:30) OR March 22 (3:30-4:30): Using Nintendo DS in the Classroom. This is open to all teachers
- March 28 (7:30-8:30) OR March 29 (3:30-4:30): Advanced Cataloging within Follett Destiny
- April 4 (7:30-8:30) OR April 5 (3:30-4:30): Spring Cleaning your Follett Destiny Catalog
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.