SLS Update 2/10/2012
- The ASCD Professional Development eBooks are now available! To date, we have 54 PD titles. Attached is a listing of all the professional development eBooks. Please share this information with your building and district administration. All schools are IP authenticated for these titles. We are still working out the bugs for home access. If you need home access within the next few weeks, please let Jim Belair know.
- For those that attended this week’s Common Core workshop, please complete the online survey- http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/forms.cfm?myForm=17069.
- We are pleased to announce the return of the Library Literature & Information Science Database. It is now fully accessible via Ebsco! This database contains access to various journals including: School Library Journal, Teacher Librarian, VOYA, and hundreds of others! To access this resource, please use this link: http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=ip,uid&profile=ehost&defaultdb=llf. Each district has its own, unique log in information- it is the same as the eBooks and Soundzabound. If you need it, let me know. Also, Ebsco does have a mobile App, so you could read SLJ on your mobile device!
- This past week the Common Core Central section on the SLS Website was updated. This includes information on Common Core Standards and APPR. If you know of additional resources, please send them to me and I will add them to the section. To view this page, please visit: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/common.cfm.
- Follett now supports standards searching- both NYS Standards and Common Core Standards. The price is $250 per year. If you are interested in having a 30-day free trial, please contact Jane Reeves or Patti Rose by Friday February 17.
- New audio book titles for the iPod Shuffles: All Quiet on the Western Front; Stink: The Incredible Shrinking Kid; Judy Moody Gets Famous; Flat Stanley Audio Collection (4 books); The Invention of Hugo Cabret; The 39 Clues, Book 10: Into the Gauntlet; Titanic: Unsinkable Book One; Blizzard! The Storm the Changed America; Catwings; and Doctor de Soto.
- You should be receiving posters for the RRLC Library of the Year Contest. Thank you to Patti Rose for sending these out! If you need additional copies, please let Patti know. Note, two years ago the winner was our very own Brockport Ginther School (Ellen Zinni).
- Lisa Osur from Holley CSD shared this animated short film (about 15 minutes). It is the Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore. It can be found at: http://vimeo.com/35404908.
- John Brock from NY State Ed shared this: An SLJ article about Sen. Jack Reed that is perhaps the most up-to-date info on the topic of the current status of LSL grants and school library support within the ESEA reauthorization process; http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/slj/home/893223-312/hes_got_your_back_senator.html.csp
- Acting State Librarian, Jeffrey W. Cannell, announced today that the “Teen NY” Facebook page has been created by the New York State Library. The new Facebook page shares exciting information for teens, librarians, parents, and all those in New York State who work with teens. The “Teen NY” Facebook page can be accessed through the Summer Reading at New York Libraries website: www.summerreadingnys.org. Just click “Follow Us on Facebook – Teen NY.” “Teen NY” is your source for updates on the 2012 Summer Reading at New York Libraries Teen Video Challenge, teen online magazines, summer programs for teens, library programs for teens, and a wealth of other resources.
- Jane Reeves shared with me a Dewey Decimal System Flash Game (works really well on a SMART Board). http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~valmstrum/s2s/utopia/library4/src/library4.html.
- A huge thank you to Charlie Kelly, Ann Fox, Linda Paul, Susan Sullivan, Heidi Green, and Patti Rose for working on the eBook grade levels! Their work is greatly appreciated! Stay tuned for more information on this topic!
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||xls file: You need Microsoft Excel to view this file. To learn more about this program before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Excel website.