SLS Update 2/03/2012
- Please visit http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/sls.cfm?subpage=1527018 to view minutes from January 17th, SLS Council Meeting.
- On March 28, Jen McLaughlin (Monroe 1 SLS Director) and Jim Belair will be presenting a workshop for public librarians on the Common Core Learning Standards. The purpose of this workshop is to give public librarians knowledge of what the CCLS are and how they can help support them. If you have any ideas/suggestions on how the public library can support the work done in schools, please let me know.
- Within the next few weeks, we should be receiving records from eBrary for ASCD and other professional development eBook titles purchased. These titles are available to all teachers and administrators within our region. As with our other eBook titles, they allow for unlimited simultaneous users. I am attaching a spreadsheet listing all the purchased professional development titles. Stay tuned for more information!
- Last week we held a 5 Systems meeting with the other regional BOCES.
- You can use 5 Systems as a cataloging tool. If you have an anthology or a similar type of work that you would like to include content notes, take a look on 5 Systems to see if you can copy/paste the information.
- Reminder, please check for any ILL requests and let a school know if you are unable to fulfill a request. Not all schools are routinely checking and this can cause problems for those schools that are waiting for materials.
- A school can change their username and password to be whatever they want. If you need assistance with this, please contact Jane Reeves (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- John Brock, NYSED Associate in School Library Services, will review current elements of the New York State Education Department's efforts in implementing the NYS Board of Regents Reform Agenda that may be of particular interest with the school library community. This NYLA e-Institute webinar is being offered on Monday, February 13, 2012 from 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM. Registration is FREE for NYLA members and $35 for non-members. For more information click here.
- A cool new feature found within Destiny 10.0… If Lexile or Fountas & Pinnell searching is turned on, after you performing a search, you can sort the search results by reading level. As a reminder, I would recommend turning of Reading Levels and Interest Level Searches. These are levels created by Follett and can be very confusing to users. If you have questions on how to do this, please contact Library Automation (email@example.com).
- A funny YouTube video shared with me by Christine Gates at C-C High School. It is called Le Book and it is a great parody video on technology usage and folks who do not use common sense!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX0-nqRmtos.
- Follett has added the below One Search Databases. If you need assistance setting these up, please contact Library Automation (firstname.lastname@example.org).
· Access Learning
· Define STEM—Connections
· Define STEM—Literary Tasks
· Define STEM—Performance Tasks
· Define STEM—Projects
· Define STEM—Simulations
· Factcite: Lincoln Library Online
· Global Issues in Context
· InfoTrac—Academic OneFile
· InfoTrac—Educators Reference Complete
· InfoTrac—General OneFile
- Attached is a press release for this year’s New York Library Association Youth Services Section Spring (YSS) Conference scheduled for Friday, March 23, 2012 at the Holiday Inn on Long Island
- Cool website shared by Jane Reeves: http://simplebooklet.com/index-sb.php. Create compelling multi-page brochures, product guides, and promotions that can be posted easily online.
- Upcoming Professional Development:
- Feb 8 (7:30-8:30) OR Feb 9 (3:30-4:30)- Creating Book Trailers using Animoto (open to teachers as well)
- Feb 15 (7:30-8:30) OR Feb 17 (3:30-4:30)- What’s new in Follett Destiny 10.0
- Feb 29 (7:30-8:30) OR March 1 (3:30-4:30)- Using QR Codes in the Library
- March 7 (7:30-8:30) OR March 8 (3:30-4:30)- Creating Book Trailers using Windows Live Movie Maker (Open to teachers as well)
- Online Database trials to Maps.com. Access to all Maps 101 K-12 content; digital/interactive maps, lessons, global current full-text articles, games, Nat'l Geographic short videos, U.S. & World atlases, Spanish language material and more. http://www.maps101.com Username: slsa Password: boces. If there are any other databases you would like to preview, please contact Patti Rose (email@example.com).
- Attached is information regarding the Ann Gibson Scholarship which is a $1,000 scholarship for a student currently enrolled in a MLS program who wishes to work with youth.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||xls file: You need Microsoft Excel to view this file. To learn more about this program before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Excel website.
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.