SLS Update 1/11/2012
- Earlier this week I sent out information regarding two upcoming Common Core Workshops.
- Common Core for Librarians by Librarians, all day on Feb 7- I had a typo on Patti’s email address- please send to: email@example.com. The registration form is attached.
- Common Core Support for ELA and Literacy using Teachingbooks.net on January 18 from 4:00-5:30. Please email Patti Rose to register.
- eBook Update:
- We should be receiving MARC records for the InfoBase Publishing eBook order within the next few days. Attached is a spreadsheet listing what was ordered and their associated grade levels
- We also placed an order with ProQuest eBrary. The majority of this order contains Professional Development eBooks from ASCD. More information to follow!
- Attached is an updated eBook Brochure. If you would like copies sent to your school, please let Patti Rose know how many copies.
- The Rochester Public Library is sponsoring a full day workshop on April 27th. The Workshop is: Comics, Libraries, and Education: Literacy Without Limits. Attached are the registration form and a promotional flyer.
- Online Database Trial for a new product and vendor: Flocabulary- http://flocabulary.com/slsa12/. The online program features hundreds of songs, videos and accompanying lessons for grades K-12. In addition to supplementary units for social studies, math and science, the program also includes access to The Word Up Project, a research-based vocabulary program that teachers can use to boost reading skills across the curriculum. Word Up is leveled for grades 2-8 and teaches over 1,000 interdisciplinary vocabulary words across the seven levels. All Flocabulary content is aligned to NYS and Common Core standards. Individual teacher or librarian subscriptions cost $63 for a calendar year. A site license granting all teachers and students access to the program is $1,200 for a calendar year.
5. Thank you to Cindy Dole for sharing this with us… AASL (American Association of School Librarians) has a new section of library lesson plans that are aligned to the Common Core Learning Standards. To access the lessons, please visit: http://www.ala.org/aasl/guidelinesandstandards/lessonplandatabase/lessonplandb. Submissions to the Lesson Plan Database are vetted by AASL reviewers to ensure lesson plans published are of the highest quality. The lesson plan template was developed using the Action Example Template from Standards for the 21st-Century Learner in Action. All lesson plans published are aligned with AASL's Standards for the 21st-Century Learner and are crosswalked with the Common Core Standards.
6. I saw this site on LM_Net- www.netgalley.com has eBooks users can download for free if they write a review on them. In order to qualify for a title, you have to request it from the publisher…I played around with it and was able to get a free title.
- The new season of PBS’ Nova and Nature have started. If you are interested in receiving a copy of this weekly show, please contact Joshua Perks (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- In this month’s School Library Journal, there was a great article on a website which collects iPad apps for education. The site is done by educators and there is section that links apps to Bloom’s Taxonomy and a section to Multiple Intelligences (currently over 1,300 apps). Easiest way to use the site is by exploring across the top (right above the main page banner) . The site is http://www.appitic.com/.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||xls file: You need Microsoft Excel to view this file. To learn more about this program before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Excel website.
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.
||docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.