SLS Update 1/04/2012
Welcome Back! I hope everyone had a great and relaxing Holiday Season!
- In March, several districts are having a Superintendent’s Conference Day. If you are interested in anyone from the SLS (Jim, Jane, Karen, or Joshua) presenting to librarians OR teachers within your district, please let us know. Slots are filling up! Also, we are more then happy to speak at department, grade level, or faculty meetings on any topics from library automation to video streaming to using the regional eBook collection.
- Upcoming Common Core Professional Development:
- Common Core Support for ELA and Literacy Using Teachingbooks.net- January 18 (4-5:30) at CaTS- FREE!!!!
- Common Core and Library Instruction- Feb 7 (all day) at Monroe 1 BOCES with Belinda O’Brien- registration form to follow- FREE!!!!
- Other Upcoming PD items:
- Follett Destiny Collection Statistics Summary Report January 11 (7:30-8:30) OR January 12 (3:30-4:30)
- Destiny Desserts (Designed for Teachers on how to use Destiny Instructionally) January 18 (7:30-8:30) OR January 19 (3:30-4:30)
- Google…it’s not a verb January 25 (7:30-8:30) OR January 26 (3:30-4:30)
- Customizing Visual Search within Destiny February 1 (7:30-8:30) OR February 2 (3:30-4:30)
- Within our region there are still a few schools that I have not visited. I would love the opportunity to visit your school. Please let me know a couple dates and times. There are still about 10 schools I haven’t visited.
- Reminder, through the Media Library CoSER you have access to Off Air Tapping where we can record a television show and burn it to a DVD. For a listing of upcoming highlights, please visit: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/media.cfm?subpage=1482268.
- Jane Reeves shared a great website for finding different types of graph paper, charts, scoring sheets, game sheets, forms…http://www.printablepaper.net/
- Teen Book Festival Update: They are now confirmed with 31 authors. There is also a contest for the Program Cover and T-Shirt Design. Visit the TBF website at www.tbflive.org for complete details.
- Facts on File Online Database Trial is now available for all their various databases. The trial will last until 2/19/12. To access the trial please visit: http://admin.infobasepublishing.com . Username: slsaadmin Password: slsaadmin1.
- Gale Cengage Online Database Trial is now available for the following databases: Student Resources in Context, Opposing Viewpoints in Context, Student Resource Center Junior, Kids Infobits (Grades K-5). For more information and access directions, please see the attached Gale Trial document.
- January 17 is the next SLS Council Meeting. If you have any items, please let your council representative know. We will be continuing discussions around our 5 year plan (http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/sls.cfm?subpage=1399262) and also discussions around having regional databases. Please make sure to provide your Council Representative with input on these two items.
- The Regents Advisory Council has released a second round draft. I think the changes made are very beneficial for school library programs! Please visit: http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/adviscns/rac/2020v2/links.htm.
- Patti Rose is working on gathering monthly database statistical usage data. Each month she will share this data out with your district. Be on the look out for this information. We ask that when you receive the data, especially for the first time, to please review it. If something looks out of order, please let us know- we want to make sure we are recording the correct statistical usage data.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.