SLS Update 12/22/2011
Wishing everyone Happy Holidays for you and your families!!
- On the LM NET Listserv, there was recently a posting about various free children’s eBooks from the site http://www.wegivebooks.org. I took a quick look at the site, and it contains some nice primary grade titles (such as the llama llama series, some Corduroy titles, The Little Engine that Could…).
- Within the SLS eBook Library, there are a few Holiday Picture Books: The Night Before Christmas, The Year without a Santa Claus, The Twelve Days of Christmas, Hanukkah, oh Hanukkah, and The Golem’s Latkes. Reminder, these are unlimited simultaneous access and display nicely on a SMART Board.
- Attached are eBook titles that are on order from InfoBase Publishing. We should receive them sometime after the New Year…stay tuned!
- Scholastic is currently offering a trial for all eight of the Groiler Database modules: Ency. Americana, New Book of Knowledge, Grolier Multimedia Ency., La Nueva Cumbre Ency., New Book of Popular Science, Lands & People, America the Beautiful, Amazing Animals of the World. This trial will run through Feb 28, 2012. To access the trial please visit: http://go.grolier.com. Username: score Password: score
· If there are additional databases you would like to preview, please let Jim or Patti know.
- Follett Destiny Update- Follett just released version 10.0. Over the next few weeks, we will be updating the BOCES test site. We will also be learning/exploring the new features found within the update. The timeline is to provide a What’s New in Destiny 10.0 Workshop on Feb 15 or Feb 16. The “Go-Live” for everyone within the Library Automation CoSER will be during February Break. If you have any questions on this, please let us know.
- A message from Jeffrey Cannell, Deputy Commissioner for Cultural Education and Mary Daley, Executive Director for New York State Summer Institutes
I am requesting your help in publicizing a unique opportunity for high school age students within your region. The New York State Summer School of the Arts comprises summer residential programs which provide intensive pre-professional training by internationally acclaimed artists and artistic companies. SSA includes the Schools of Ballet, Choral Studies, Dance, Media Arts, Orchestral Studies, Theatre and Visual Arts. The program is open to all New York State high school age students who qualify through regional auditions. Tuition assistance is available based upon financial need. Attached is letter-size NYSSSA poster that provides basic information on the programs. Individual program posters are also available on the NYSSSA website at www.oce.nysed.gov/nysssa/.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||xls file: You need Microsoft Excel to view this file. To learn more about this program before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Excel website.
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.