SLS Update 12/15/2011
- We are pleased to offer the following Database trials:
- SIRS Discover: https://www.proquest.com/trials/trialSummary.action?view=subject&trialBean.token=634BJYFQFWT02XTM59DR. This trial is good until January 12, 2012. This is geared towards students in grades 1-9.
- World Book Online: see attached document for trial information
- If there are other databases, you would like to preview, please let Jim Belair know
- Karen Mitchell has put together an outstanding guide detailing how to catalog eReaders in Follett Destiny. If you have any questions on how to catalog these devices, please contact the Library Automation Team (LAT@monroe2boces.org).
- After the holidays, registration information for the full day Common Core and Library Instruction workshop will be sent out. The workshop will be February 7 from 8:30-2:30 at 15 Linden Park (Monroe 1 BOCES in Penfield, NY). The cost is free.
Monroe 1 and Monroe 2 Orleans BOCES are pleased to offer a workshop for librarians by librarians on the Common Core Learning Standards and Library Instruction. The presenter retired this past June from Fairport Minerva Deland School in Fairport and is now the Director of the new School Library Media Degree Program at St. John Fisher College. The session will cover what the standards are and how they impact library instruction and classroom collaboration. We will also spend time dissecting the AASL Crosswalk which aligns with the standards. Time will be provided for librarians to work on existing lessons for alignment.
- Reminder, if you are having issues with your Online Databases that you subscribe to from the SLS, please contact Patti Rose and Jim Belair. We will follow up with the vendor to resolve any issues.
- Tech Camp Rochester from the Rochester Regional Library Council will be held at the Wallace Center at RIT on January 5, 2012 from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and will feature a full day of mini-sessions on different technologies, tools, and gadgets for librarians and library users. The sessions will feature: Facebook, WordPress, Prezi, XtraNormal, Google, phone apps, and more. Featuring an Electronic Petting Zoo (11:00am – 1:30pm) - come get your hands on the latest in Kindles, Nooks, XO Laptops, Google Chrome books, Smart pens, iPads, and more. Discuss these devices with knowledgeable staff who have deployed them in their libraries. But wait there’s more! The Extra Helpings Bar (11:00am – 1:30pm) will feature technology savvy staff ready to answer your questions with personal one-on-one assistance. Bring that complex Excel spreadsheet or MS Word formatting problem on a flash drive, and walk-away with a solution! RRLC has posted a lot new information on our site regarding Tech Camp Rochester (1/5/2012), including the schedule of sessions. This event is free and open to all teachers/administrators. Visit this page for more information: http://www.rrlc.org/Learning/TechCampRochester/tabid/1085/Default.aspx. To register, go to www.rrlc.org and click on Register for Courses, or call our office at (585) 223-7570.
- Recently posted on Engage NY website: Student Learning Objectives for assessing student growth in classrooms where there is no state assessment http://engageny.org/resource/student-learning-objectives/.
- Attached is an updated listing of all audio books available on the iPod Shuffles. If you have additional suggestions, please contact Joshua Perks. Reminder, a teacher can also borrow the iPod Shuffles for a podcasting project.
- On the Monroe County Library Website are outstanding guides on using OverDrive on various devices: Nooks, Kindles, iPads…There are also some quick video tutorials. The site is: http://www3.libraryweb.org/download.aspx?id=472119.
- Last week I listed the wrong times on a couple of Professional Development sessions. Please see below for corrected times.
· Using Follett Purchased eBooks within Follett Destiny with Jane Reeves: 12/21 from 7:30-8:30 OR 12/22 from 3:30-4:30 (Note, this is for eBooks that individual libraries have purchased from Follett, this is not on using the regional eBook collection from BOCES)
· LSTA Workshop- Library 2.0 How the Library Program and Should be Resurrected as Vital to Learning with Allison Zmunda: 12/22 from 8:30-3:00 at RIT Inn & Conference Center
· Using the BOCES Regional eBook Collection: 1/4 from 7:30-8:30 OR 1/5 from 3:30-4:30
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||xls file: You need Microsoft Excel to view this file. To learn more about this program before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Excel website.
||docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.