SLS Update 11/18/2011
- Save the date for an all day event tentatively scheduled for February 7th, 2012: Monroe 1 and Monroe 2 Orleans BOCES are pleased to offer a workshop for librarians by librarians on the Common Core Learning Standards and Library Instruction. The presenter, Belinda O’Brien, retired this past June from Fairport Minerva Deland School in Fairport and is now the Director of the new School Library Media Degree Program at St. John Fisher College. The session will cover what the standards are and how they impact library instruction and classroom collaboration. We will also spend time dissecting the AASL Crosswalk with aligns with the standards. Time will be provided for librarians to work on existing lessons for alignment. More information to follow!
- Please find attached the minutes from our November 15th SLS Council Meeting. If you have any questions, please let either myself or your SLS Council Rep know.
- Audio Book Update:
- New Audio Books available from SNAP:
39 Clues Book 9 Storm Warning by Linda Sue Park; You by Charles Benoit; Brain Rules 12 Principles for Surviving by John Medina; The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo; The Revealers by Doug Wilhelm; Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
Earlier this week I sent out an update regarding our regional eBook collection- if you have not already read through this, please do take a moment to do so.
- If you have other titles you would like to see added, please contact Joshua Perks
- We recently purchased audio splitters to use with the iPod Shuffles- the splitters will allow up to 5 headphones to plug into the iPod Shuffles. They are available from SNAP
Mango Languages is providing our region a free trial of their language learning product. The trial runs until December 13. To access the trial, please visit: http://libraries.mangolanguages.com/mango-languages-30-day-trial/try/9a0454c9d
Common Core Information:
· Attached to this email are bookmarks created by New York State Education for EngageNY- the official website for New York and the Common Core.
· New "Get Started" pages for the Common Core
o These new pages on the EngageNY website offer users a step-by-step guide through the Common Core resources in such a way that they gain an in-depth understanding of the shifts, the content and behavioral changes required, what the shifts look like in "real life," and next steps for implementation.
o There is a "Get Started" page tailored to each audience group: Teachers, Principals, Network Teams, and Administrators.
o You can access all of the "Get Started" pages from the Common Core home page on the EngageNY website: http://engageny.org/common-core/
· Common Core Professional Development Kit
o This tool kit provides a cabinet/conference day/faculty meeting-ready presentation on the Common Core: http://engageny.org/resource/common-core-professional-development-kit/
o Lastly, they have posted two new elementary math modules on the EngageNY site at: http://engageny.org/resource/curriculum-exemplars/
- Today I attended a meeting with academic librarians from area colleges. Kathy Jaccarino from Brockport High School has been an active member of this group for years- thank you Kathy for all the hard work in this area! The group is looking at ways school librarians and academic librarians can learn from each. The colleges will also be sending me a list of their top used databases by underclassmen. Stay tuned for more information and a survey on this matter.
- Due to a family emergency, Allison Zmuda had to cancel her workshop last week. The new date for the workshop is December 22. If interested in attending, please register.
- A message from Gale Cengage: Our K-12 Publishing team would like to interview middle school and elementary school media specialists in your area to develop content, interface, and feature requirements for a potential National Geographic Kids Library solution. Is anyone interested in discussing this?
- Next week I will be attending the NYSCATE conference- hopefully, I will run into some of you there J If you are unable to attend, and there are specific vendors that you would have questions for, please let me know.
- InterLibrary Loan reminder: Please send all ILL request for academic libraries or public libraries to Patti Rose, the new Administrative Assistance for the School Library System. Her phone number is 349-9097 and her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.
||doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.
||docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.