SLS Update 11/04/2011
Please see below for various items:
- I am pleased to announce Patti Rose has joined the SLS team as our administrative assistant. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org and her phone number is (585) 349-9097. Patti will be taking over the lead role for ILL functions and will become the primary point of contact for online databases. Stay tuned for more information from Patti.
- I am currently at the NYLA (New York Library Association) Conference in Saratoga Springs. Yesterday, I attended a presentation by Dr. John D. King, our new Commissioner of Education. Dr. King stressed his visions of librarians as Common Core Learning Standards leaders in our schools. The responsibility fall to us to become experts in the new standards so we can become invaluable resources within our districts. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments on this. Also, please let me know what type of Professional Development you need on this topic. This is our time to shine!
- On Monday I sent out trial information for Sylvan-Dell eBooks. The eBooks can be accessed by visiting: http://www.sylvandellpublishing.com/sitelicense.php?sc=80UYKS. Please provide us with feedback regarding the purchase of these eBooks by completing this quick, 1 question poll: http://doodle.com/kntcencbe95uechm.
- ProQuest has entered the eBook field with a product called eBrary; this site contains mostly high school content. Please visit http://site.ebrary.com/lib/m2boces. We will be purchasing ONLY THOSE ITEMS PEOPLE REQUEST. Please send any purchasing suggestions to Patti Rose (email@example.com). The Deadline for this is November 22.
They provided us with several different log in names:
- Information is now available for a Teen Video Contest for the 2012 Summer Reading Program from New York State. Please visit: http://www.summerreadingnys.org/index.php/Teens/menu/category/video_challenge/. Attached is a printable poster regarding the contest.
- All of the previous SLS Weekly Updates from this school year are now available on line. They can be found by visiting the SLS main site: http://www.monroe2boces.org/sls and clicking the SLS Weekly Updates link on the left hand side.
- Reminder- The SLS will be holding a workshop on using ProQuest with the Common Core Learning Standards. The workshop is Tuesday, November 15 from 3:30-5:00. If you would like to attend this free event, please let me know. I am attaching a handout for this event. As of today, 17 people are signed up to attend.
- Last call: if you are interested in attending the Allison Zmuda workshop on November 9, please let me know ASAP. There are still slots available.
- The next SLS Council meeting is November 15. If you have any agenda items you would like discussed, please let your district representative know. Also, during this meeting we will be working on our 5 Year Plan of Service. If you have feedback on this document, please let your representative know. A draft version of the plan is available by visiting: http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/sls.cfm?subpage=1399262.
- We are receiving preliminary information from Follett regarding the latest version of Destiny that will be released in the coming months. One very cool feature is a mobile app which will allow users to fully access a library's Online Catalog. Stay tuned for more information!
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.
||docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.