SLS Update 10/28/2011
Greetings, please see below for various informational pieces.
- Media Department update
· The Flip Camcorders we purchased over the summer have received a lot of usage. This week we placed an order to purchase an additional 100 units as the initial 60 purchased were all checked out.
· The iPod Shuffles are also seeing an increase in usage! This week we placed an order for an additional 50 units. This will bring our total number of shuffles to 350 units.
a. If there are any audio books you would like BOCES to purchase, please contact Joshua Perks (email@example.com).
· We recently purchased a couple new Nintendo DS Games for Math and Spelling. If you would like to demo the games and provide BOCES feedback on them, please contact Joshua Perks.
- Donna Farren, the BOCES eLearning Specialist, shared a cleaner approach to using YouTube videos. Safe Share is a free site that will allow you to copy and paste a YouTube video’s link into a new player that will strip out all the ads. The site is: http://www.safeshare.tv/.
- I will be creating a new section to the SLS website pertaining to the Common Core and libraries. If you have resources, sites… that you are using, or think others may find useful, please send them to me and I will add them to the new section.
- NOVEL NY update: InfoTrac Custom Newspapers was replaced this week with an upgraded product called Gale Newsstand. For information on this new database, please visit: http://www.gale.cengage.com/pdf/facts/ITCN.pdf (I checked, it does NOT have the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle).
- Karen Mitchell is finishing up an awesome eBook available as a free download for a computer, iPad, Kindle, or Nook. The titles is School Libraries: What’s Now, What’s Next, What’s Yet to Come. The publish date is October 15, 2011. This book contains over 100 essays from around the world about trends in school libraries written by librarians, teachers, publishers, and library vendors. Edited by Kristin Fontichiaro and Buffy Hamilton. Foreword by R. David Lankes. Photographs by Diane Cordell. To access the eBook, please visit: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/96705#longdescr. I will be starting this book next week!
- The 5 Systems InterLibrary Loan System developed by the Genesee Valley SLS, in partnership with Monroe 1 SLS, Monroe 2 SLS, WFL SLS and Rochester City SLS was a runner up for the Joseph F. Shubert Award. Congratulations to Chris, Andy and Brain from the GV BOCES SLS on this!
- Next week we will begin a free trial for ProQuest’s eBrary (eBook) collection. We will have the ability to pick and choose eBooks from this collection to add to our growing collection. For a sneak peek of what is available, please visit: http://site.ebrary.com/lib/schooltitles/search.action?adv.x=1&p00=0000&f00=pubdate&p00_upper=9999&sortBy=date. When I receive the Username and Password to access the content, I will send that along.
- In November, Follett is scheduled to release an update to the Standards Add-On Module (the price is $250 per year) to align with the Common Core. This module will allow users to search by Common Core Standards within your library’s collection. It has been a couple of years since we last looked at this module- the last time we looked, we were not highly impressed. If anyone is interested in a free trial of this module when it is released, please contact the Library Automation Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624