SLS Update 9/29/2011
- We are excited to be offering a variety of Professional Development opportunities this year!
- October LSTA workshop on Assessment in the Library (librarians are encouraged to bring a teacher)- attached is more information.
- November LSTA workshop with Allison Zmuda- more information to follow
- Reminder each week, the SLS provides a different professional development classes- you can view all upcoming sessions by visiting the SLS online PD calendar- http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/calendar.cfm
- The Media Department has just purchased some new audio books for use on the iPod Shuffles.
- John Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath, and The Pearl
- If you have suggestions for additional purchases, please contact Joshua Perks
- Attached is an updated spread sheet listing all of the audio books available for loan on the iPod Shuffles
- Reminder- you can also borrow blank iPod Shuffles for a class to use for a project
3. Have you checked out the trial for New York State eBooks from Rosen?
a. To access them, please visit http://rosenlearningcenter.com. Username: monroe2 Password: monroe2. This trial will run through Oct. 16.
b. Please comment with either a Yes, No, or on the Fence at: http://www.doodle.com/92u5y5kg6kms4spx. This will literally take 30 seconds to do.
- eBook information:
- I am finishing negotiations with a vendor to purchase an additional 400+ eBook titles- more information to follow!
- Attached is a listing of current eBooks Titles and current eBook Titles with a summary
- All of these eBooks allow for unlimited simultaneous users
- Also attached is a general informational flyer on the eBook collection
- If there are any databases you would like to trial or preview, please let me know. In the near future, we will be sharing out a different trial each week.
- If anyone is interested in borrowing a Color Nook to explore, please let Joshua Perks know.
- We currently have 6 Color Nooks loaded with Elementary titles and 6 Color Nooks with Secondary titles.
- BOCES has extra barcode scanners that we can lend out. Please note, we have both USB and wireless scanners. If interested in borrowing one, please let Jane Reeves know.
- Best practice idea: When teaching a project, we know that we often receive better results when using a rubric. A really cool site with a TON of rubrics is: http://rubistar.4teachers.org/. Note- in order to access the rubrics on the site, you must create an account (it is free). The site also contains templates for creating rubrics. Teaching idea- find examples of exemplary rubrics from this site. Show the rubrics to your students and discuss the various parts and ideas within them. Then, using the rubric template, have the class create the rubric for their project.
- Ebsco is offering five scholarships ($1500 each) to librarians to attend the 2012 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Dallas Texas (January 20-24). The deadline to apply is November 1. To apply, candidates must complete the application criteria and submit an essay that addresses the following topic: “If you could change anything about your current workplace or job responsibilities, how would you position them to meet future needs?” Essays and applications will be judged by a jury designated by ALA.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||xls file: You need Microsoft Excel to view this file. To learn more about this program before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Excel website.
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.
||doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.
||docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.