SLS Update 9/23/2011
Please see below for various announcements:
- Over the past week, I have received several questions around the new eBook collection. I will be more then happy to visit any library to show them how to access the collection. I am also available to visit any librarian department meetings to further demonstrate or discuss the collection. Reminder- this is a growing collection- we will be adding a lot of new content THIS YEAR.
- Tuesday was the first School Library System meeting of the year. Thank you for all that attended. A lot of great conversation came out of the meeting. Attached is a DRAFT 5 Year Plan of Service. This document will be the guiding force for the SLS over the next five years. During the next several Council meetings we will be working on this document and fine tuning it. Your Council Representative will be sharing more about this document- please provide them with any feedback or suggestions. The attachment is called 2011-2015 POS.xls.
- Reminder- earlier this week I sent out information to several librarians regarding a current trial for eBooks on New York State from Rosen Publishing. These are great for 4th or 5th grade. They contain lots of interactive multimedia features and correlations with the Common Core standards. If you would like me to resend you the information, please let me know. Also, please let me know any feedback- both positive and negative as we are looking to purchase this for our regional eBook collection.
- Next week is the next RASL meeting (Rochester Area School Librarians). Attached is a flyer about the meeting.
- UPDATE INFORMATION FOR BEDS REPORT: New York just provided me with updated information NOVELNy databases! The information has changed from what was shared last week! The current number of databases is now 9. The Twain Author Series eBooks are now counted as one database. These databases include:
- EBSCO’s Primary Search (including Searchasaurus and Kids Search
- Gale’s Academic OneFile
- Gale’s Business and Company Resource Center
- Gale’s General OneFile
- Gale’s Health Reference Center Academic
- Gale’s InfoTrac Custom Newspapers
- Gale’s National Newspaper Index
- Gale’s New York State Newspapers (a subset of InfoTrac)
- Gale’s Twayne Authors Series
- Grolier Online (includes Encyclopedia Americana, Grolier Multimedia
Encyclopedia, and the New Book of Knowledge)
In addition to NOVELNy Databases, your school also receives 4 databases from BOCES: Teachingbooks.net, Soundzabound, Library Literature, and Learn 360.
- This past week I attended a conference entitled Mobile Media and Me. I am walking away with lots of great information that I will be sharing with everybody- including some great apps for the iPad! One of the best new apps that I saw was called Puppet Pals. This app will allow the users to make their own puppet show cartoons. More info on this topic to follow!
- Reminder, all districts now have access to Off-Air taping services through BOCES. For more information, please visit http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/SLS/media.cfm?subpage=1399251. This site does contain some highlights of upcoming events. The Media Department will be constantly updating this page to list new opportunities.
- The School Library Systems of OCM, Oswego and Syracuse City are having a librarian conference on Wednesday November 9. Attached is information on this conference. It is called FallConference11(1).pdf.
- Attached is information regarding the upcoming Teen Book Festival Read-A-Thon fundraiser.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||xls file: You need Microsoft Excel to view this file. To learn more about this program before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Excel website.
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.