SLS Update 9/8/2011
I hope everyone is doing well and settling in! The Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES School Library System will again be sending out weekly updates regarding the School Library System, Media Department, general happenings with libraries, and other bits of information. If you no longer wish to receive these weekly updates, please let me know. Also, if you know anyone who would like to be added to the list, please let me know.
- Over the summer the Jane Reeves updated the Techno-Tools for Teachers Brochure. I am sending each school 15 copies of the brochure. If you would like additional copies to share with your faculty, please let me know. The brochure is to inform teachers of the resources currently available to them through the SLS. A copy of this brochure is attached.
- Next week I will be sending out a detailed email outlining several new services the SLS is proud to present. The services include:
- Our new eBook library which contains almost 300 different titles with more being added
- The introduction of Soundzabound- royalty free music and sound effects for teachers and students to use in their multimedia creations
- Flips camcorders for teachers and students to use for projects
- As we begin to assemble and refine our lesson plans, I wanted to share resources around the Common Core Standards. I do believe this is our time to shine….inquiry based learning and libraries go hand-in-hand! Attached is a word document created by my counterpart from WFL BOCES that contains several links to various Common Core sites.
- Each school library is being sent a copy of the BOCES Professional Development Catalog. This year, the SLS Staff has put together weekly workshops on a variety of topics. Please note, several of these workshops are also aimed towards classroom teachers. Please feel free to share. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.
- Each librarian should have received a copy of their database usernames and passwords. If you did not receive this, or have any questions regarding your databases, please let me know.
- For our districts participating in the Library Automation CoSER, reminder if you have any questions or concerns regarding Follett Destiny, or need a quick refresher, please let Jane or Karen know. The best way to contact them is by emailing: LAT@monroe2boces.org.
- Attached to this email is information around the next LSTA workshop. The focus of this full-day workshop is assessment in the library (think APPR). The same workshop will be offered two different days: Oct 13 (West Side) and Oct 14 (East Side). If you have any questions, please let me know.
- We have just finished re-vamping the SLS webpage. The site is: http://www.monroe2boces.org/sls. The site contains links and information for various aspects of the SLS: Media Library, eBooks, ILL, Follett Destiny, Databases…
- St. John Fisher College requires all K-12 Pre-Service teachers to spend three hours of their field experience with a School Library Media Specialist. If you are interested in working with SJFC to provide an opportunity to introduce future teachers to what a library is, please contact Kathi Sigler: email@example.com or by phoning (585) 386-8140.
- I always love the opportunity to visit libraries. With that being said, if anyone has any questions about services offered by the SLS, please let me know. Also, if you are doing a unique or interesting lesson, I would love the opportunity to see the great work that is being done within our region J
- Towards the end of June, every librarian in our region completed the SLS End of Year Survey. Thank you again for everyone for taking the time to complete this! We compiled the results of the survey and we are making changes to our services and how we can best help you! I am attaching the results of the survey. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.
||docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.