1. We have added four new eBooks into our collection from ebrary. These are all unlimited simultaneous access titles and are part of the ELA Modules. In other words, 1,000 students could be reading the same title at the same time for 15 weeks!
· Barack Obama’s Speeches (Grade 11, Module 3)
· Inside Out and Back Again (Grade 8, Module 1)
· Modern Plays: Doll’s House (Grade 9, Module 3)
· Under the Red Flag (Grade 11, Module 4)
· This brings the total number of ELA Module Texts available as unlimited simultaneous access to 53
2. Upcoming Professional Development:
· November 21 from 3:45-4:45- Using eBooks in the Classroom and Library. The BOCES SLS eBooks are a great asset for teachers and students. You will learn how to access them from home and school. Learn about using eBooks in the classroom or library by attending this one hour class. Open to teachers and librarians.
· December 5 from 4:45-4:45- Mike James from EBSCO will discuss the various EBSCO products and how they can be used to support Common Core
· December 12 from 3:45-4:45- Ensemble Video. Ensemble Video works in concert with users and systems across your organization to enable collaborative sharing and management of an ever-increasing flow of video and media content. Participants will learn how to upload, tag, share, publish and manage user-created content using the Ensemble Video Platform.
· December 19 from 3:45-4:45- Screen Casting Your Library. This one hour session will show you how to create quick instructional videos for teacher and student use. Using Screencast-O-Matic, participants will create a brief video tutorial. You will create an account for this free service in class. Please bring an idea for your "How To" video.
3. The Media Library is hard at working adding CCSS Grade Level/Module Numbers, Lexile and Fountas & Pinnell levels to the iPod audiobooks in the Media Portal. By the end of next week this process should be complete and the reading levels and modules will be searchable and added to the left hand lifter links inside the Media Portal.
4. Follett has notified all Destiny users that they will be moving their Destiny servers to a new location over the Thanksgiving holiday. The move will affect access to online services (TitlePeek, WebPath Express, etc.) as well as access to Follett eBooks from Thursday, November 28, through Saturday, November 30. Destiny will still be accessible but without those features. Please let your patrons know about this interruption in service. We will also run a banner across Destiny beginning on Monday, November 25, to remind everyone.
5. Donna Farren (BOCES Distance Learning Specialist) shared a recent listing she found of 55 Best Free Education Apps for the iPad: http://www.teachthought.com/apps-2/the-55-best-best-free-education-apps-for-ipad/
6. Reminder, registration is under way for the WFL BOCES Library Leadership Academy on December 5 in Newark, NY.
· The keynote speaker, Michelle Luhtala is a real treat, especially in these digital times. -“Ms. Luhtala presents monthly webinars and facilitates a virtual learning community for school librarians."
· The guest author, Steve Sheinkin will be signing his award winning books. Registration and pre-order book forms are attached.
7. The Children’s Book Festival is THIS SATURDAY (Tomorrow) at MCC: http://www.rochesterchildrensbookfestival.com/
8. 3Ts 2014: At the Core of Teaching, Technology and Transliteracy
· Friday, March 14, 2014 at SUNY Geneseo's Milne Library
· The fourth annual 3Ts conference is on the way! Join librarians, faculty, instructional designers and K-12 educators in thoughtful and thorough conversations as we go back to the roots of 3Ts and move beyond the standard format of keynote speaker and concurrent presentations. Throughout this one-day conference, you'll engage in workshops where presenters highlight their dynamic teaching collaborations and/or model their instructional technique.
· In short, you and other participants will ‘do’ rather than ‘hear," and leave at the end of the day armed with an action toolkit for implementation of 21st teaching and learning techniques and technologies at your institution.
9. App of the Week: Follett Quest. With this app, users can access their entire library’s catalog on a mobile device. The app will work on an iDevice, Droid Device or Kindle. For more information or help setting this up, please contact the Library Automation Team at BOCES.
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|