1. Sylvan Dell Update:
· Sylvan Dell Publishing changed names to Arbordale Publishing. This was to “avoid a time-consuming and costly legal battle over the use of the word “Sylvan” in the name”. Please let me know if you have any questions.
· We have added 9 new eBooks to this collection: Animal Helpers: Aquariums, A Beavers’ Busy Year, A Cool Summer Tail, Daisylocks, First Fire: A Cherokee Folktale, Kali’s Story: An Orphaned Polar Bear Rescue, Polar Bears and Penguins: A Compare and Contrast Book, Sea Slime: It’s Eeuwy, Gooey and Under the Sea, and The Shape Family Babies.
2. Media Library Update:
· New Audio Books:
i. Caleb’s Story by Patricia MacLachlan
ii. Skylark by Patricia MacLachlan
iii. Paper Towns by John Green
iv. Fever 1793 Laurie Halse Anderson
· Upcoming Off Air Series: Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey
ii. This is a reimagining of the first Cosmos with Carl Sagan. It will be a 13 part series Starting on March 9 and is a joint collaboration between National Geographic Channel and Fox.
· Please put your off-air requests in soon. You must request each episode separately (sorry but that is part of our fair-use guidelines.) http://www.monroe2boces.org/forms.cfm?myForm=247
3. Upcoming Professional Development
· Mobile Content Creation for the Common Core on March 6 from 3:45-4:45 at the CaTS Building with Joshua Perks (Open for any teacher or librarian)
· The Library Apps class for next week is canceled due to no enrollment
· Using Noodle Tools for Research on March 20 from 3:45-4:45 at the CaTS Building with Lisa Osur (Open for any teacher of librarian)
· Understanding Social Media on March 27 from 3:45-4:45 at the CaTS Building with Joshua Perks (Open for any teacher or librarian)
4. We are exploring adding a new eBook vendor to our growing eBook collection. We are working with Abdo Publishing to identify titles that may fit into our collection.
· We have full access until 5/1/14 to their entire eBook Collection. Please visit: http://my.abdodigital.com Username: jbelair Password: abdotrial
i. Please feel free to share this information with your teachers!
· Once logged in, scroll down and you can search by grade level
i. Pre-K, Elementary, Middle School, or High School
· If you see titles you or your teachers are interested in adding to our permanent collection, please send them to Patti Rose.
· Note- as part of the trial they also granted us a free trial to four different Online Databases. These are geared towards upper elementary and middle school students
i. Inside Major League Baseball, Inside the NFL, United States Digital Database and US Presidents Digital Databases
ii. If any of the databases looks interesting, please let Jim Belair know as we could add them to our Online Database CoSER for next year
5. The SLS has posters and brochures available for the Digies. This is an awards event that celebrates student work that is being done in the digital and fine arts. The festival has four categories for submission: Audio, Images, Publications and Video with each category being broken up into grade ranges. Submission are uploaded to the Digies website (www.digies.org) by librarians and teachers from participating schools and later judged by a panel of national experts in education and the digital media arts. Submissions are due by April 1, 2014. The culminating event is a very nice celebration and awards ceremony where attendees can view all of the current year's submissions before the winners receive their awards. This year's ceremony will be taking place at Genesee Community College in Batavia, NY.
· If you would like a poster or brochure, please email Patti Rose
6. WXXI Updates:
· Attached are the March 2014 Off Air Highlights (reminder- any of these can be recorded by BOCES)
· WXXI is looking for student video book reports to air during Homework Hotline. Please see the attachment for more information
7. Hilton Quest Elementary School has one day available with the author Jarrett Krosoczka the week of May 5TH. For more information on this author: http://www.ted.com/talks/jarrett_j_krosoczka_how_a_boy_became_an_artist.html. If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
8. A note from Michelle Costello, the Education Librarian at SUNY Geneseo regarding the upcoming 3Ts Conference (Please share with your teachers)
· Professional Development Opportunity for K-12 educators on 3/14/2014
We've been talking about this upcoming 3Ts Conference for a few months now, and we are now open for registration!
Throughout this one-day conference, you'll engage in workshops where presenters highlight their dynamic teaching collaborations and/or model their instructional technique. In short, you and other participants will ‘do’ rather than ‘hear," and leave at the end of the day armed with an action toolkit for implementation of 21st teaching and learning techniques and technologies at your institution
· Check out our exciting list of workshops to be offered on 3/14/2014
· Sign up as a faculty/professional mentor to Library & Information Science and/or Education student attendees We would LOVE to have classroom teachers attend. I realize that it can be difficult to get away from school for the day, but I think this PD opportunity is unique in that it brings together, students, teachers, librarians and instructional designers to talk about teaching and the new literacies - especially technology. All of the sessions will be workshops and be practical in nature. Participants will be active learners and will (hopefully) walk away with real strategies to use in their own teaching.
9. We have received the MARC records for the new titles from Mitchell Lane Publishing. This bring our regional eBook collection to 1,880 titles. All with unlimited simultaneous usage for all teachers and students in our region.
|doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|