1. Please join the SLS Council Members to celebrate another successful year of information fluency, technology literacy, and collaboration. Come when you can, leave when you have to. The Year End Gathering will be Tuesday May 20th from 3:30-5:30 at Rohrbach (3859 Buffalo Rd). Please RSVP using the Doodle Poll: http://doodle.com/5gz4i6qcvpu4zmpcbunuye3s/admin#table.
2. Congratulations to Kathy Jaccarino and the Staff of Brockport High School Library in being named the 2014 Rochester Regional Library Council School Library of the Year!
· From one of the nomination forms: “I have been a teacher for 25 years and I have never worked with more energetic, competent, helpful, and knowledgeable librarians! They truly LOVE their job and it definitely rubs off on the students and staff. They are loved and respected by all! They open their library up early and keep it open late for the students. They are willing to help whoever walks through their doors! They make researching fun!!! Our library has worked hard to keep our library updated even with all the budget cuts! They know how important it is for the students and their education! They are the BEST!!!!
3. We have added a new volume to our Soundzabound Collection: Volume 7: Global Bands and Artists. Artists, bands and producers from around the world bringing both vocal and non-vocal content in various styles to spark your projects and productions. Please let us know if you have any questions on accessing or using these audio files.
4. Reminder, May 17 is the Teen Book Festival. For more information, please visit: www.teenbookfestival.org.
5. Upcoming Professional Development:
· Inventory within Follett Destiny (May 15th- 3:45-4:45 at CaTS). This one-hour class will give you the resources you need to return to your library and conduct an inventory using Destiny Library Manager
· Attached is a copy of upcoming RRLC Workshops
· Rochester Region Uncommon Approaches to the Common Core (July 23 at Genesee Country Village & Museum). For Teachers, Administrators and Librarians. Please see attached flyer called Cultural Showcase. This will be an awesome opportunity for teachers/administrators to talk with area cultural institutions on ways they can support Common Core. Institutions include Seneca Park Zoo, RMSC, Memorial Art Gallery, The Strong, MCLS, GCV&M PLUS MANY MORE!
· Judy Freemen: Best New Children’s Books Grades PK-6 (July 18 at Central Library). Sponsored by RRLC. This is open only to librarians.
· Third Annual Librarian Tech Camp (August 22 at Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES). This year’s event will focus several workshops around technology and using them in a library setting. Example sessions include: Symbaloo, Maker Spacers, eBooks, Zotero plus much more!
6. Reminder, next week, May 16, is the deadline for the EMTA Media Literacy Grant. Please see attached document for more information.
7. The Democrat and Chronicle's Digital Team would like to share a fun story they created to engage the community, particularly young people.
· Endless Winter is a graphic novel that is tied to the filming of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 movie, which was filmed partly in Rochester. We wanted to celebrate Rochester and the occasion with this sense-of-place story in graphic novel format. It's great fun, featuring our own Rochester-centric super hero, and chock-full of local references. http://democratandchronicle.com/mercury
· For questions and more information, please contact ?Annette Meade at email@example.com
· To access the e-edition of the Democrat and Chronicle, please visit: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/ee. Log in using your district’s home access eBook credentials
8. Infographic of the Librarian as a Tech Leader: http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2013/12/k-12/steal-infographic/.
9. Reminder- The Member Plan of Service (SLMPE Rubric and Cover Sheet) are due to the SLS on 5/9/14.
10. Reminder- if you would like to borrow a scanner for end of year inventory, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify if you would like a USB Scanner or a Wireless Scanner.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
Office: (585) 349-9099
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.|