1. From the Media Library: we have upgraded our CCC! STEM Package to the full CCC! Video Streaming Package. This now includes over 5,000 programs and 100,000 video clips that spans the PK-12 curriculum. To access these titles, and all other streaming titles, visit the Media Portal. If you have any questions, please contact either Joshua Perks or Jim Belair.
2. InterLibrary Loan Date Reminders:
· Last Day for New ILL Requests: May 16
· All ILL Items Returned: June 13
· Complete the online ILL form: June 17
· If you have other arrangements, BOCES doesn’t need to know about it
3. If you have not already done so, please take a moment and check out the new Axis 360 eBook collection. The official launch will take place in the Fall. For now, explore, ask questions and read a few eBooks.
· We are still tweaking the setup which is why we are not ready for a full launch (such as making the email address optional)
· If you have a students or a teachers who could easily use Axis 360, feel free to share it with them now. Please send any feedback (both positive AND items to improve the system) to either Jane Reeves or Jim Belair
· Jane is creating a website with video tutorials, web links and instructions: http://www.monroe2boces.org/SLS.cfm?subpage=2855. Note- the site is still a work in progress.
· Jane or Jim would welcome coming on site and exploring this program with you!
· Each school can purchase additional content (both eBooks or audio books) which only their students would have access to.
4. Online Database trials
· World and I
ii. Username: m2o Password: trial
iii. Expires 6/30/2014
· myOn Reader
i. myON Reader has over 7,000 titles, Lexile measures, measuring reading growth (not just comprehension), and district level reports and correlations. Visit: http://thefutureinreading.myon.com/press-room/videos/understanding-personalized-reading-myon
5. Reminder- TODAY, Tuesday May 20, is the SLS End of Year Gathering. Start time is 3:30ish and it will take place at Rohrbachs on Buffalo Rd. http://doodle.com/5gz4i6qcvpu4zmpcbunuye3s/admin#table
6. The Public Library is holding a May Tech Camp on Friday May 23 from 2-6 at the Webster Public Library.
· Digital Currency: Find out more about the different types of digital currency and how it is being used by people today – maybe even some of your patrons!
· MaKey MaKey: Did you think you could create music on your computer with Bananas? Or create a functional joystick out of play dough? Find out more about this little invention kit, and how libraries are incorporating it into some of their children’s and teen programming.
· Virtual Reality and VR Headsets: Find out where we are with Virtual Reality and how soon it could be in the hands of the consumers
· To register, please visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TCMay14
7. All items borrowed from the Media Library (DVDs, iPod Shuffles, Cameras…) will be due back by June 20.
8. Reminder, please take a few moments and fill out the SLS End of Year Evaluation. Your feedback is important to us as it helps is know where we are doing a good job, where we need to improve and how we can make changes to better service the needs of the teachers and students in our region. http://www.monroe2boces.org/forms.cfm?myForm=262
9. I know several libraries are doing “things” with Minecraft. The New York Public Library just had some of their historical maps given a Minecraft makeover: www.nypl.org/blog/2014/05/05/historical-maps-minecraft?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral.
10. Summer PD Events:
· Rochester Region Uncommon Approaches to the Common Core (July 23 at Genesee Country Village & Museum). For Teachers, Administrators and Librarians. Please see attached flyer called Cultural Showcase. This will be an awesome opportunity for teachers/administrators to talk with area cultural institutions on ways they can support Common Core. Institutions include Seneca Park Zoo, RMSC, Memorial Art Gallery, Susan B. Anthony House, MCLS, GCV&M PLUS MANY MORE!
· Judy Freemen: Best New Children’s Books Grades PK-6 (July 18 at Central Library). Sponsored by RRLC. This is open only to librarians.
· Third Annual Librarian Tech Camp (August 22 at Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES). This year’s event will focus several workshops around technology and using them in a library setting. Example sessions include: Symbaloo, Maker Spacers, eBooks, Zotero plus much more!
· Destiny New Users/Re-Fresher (August 26 at CaTS from 10-2). This one-day session will provide a hands-on workshop for new librarians or library support staff. Circulation, reports, and back-to-school settings will be covered. There will be time provided to work on your own library’s Destiny site. You’ll learn the basics and return to your school ready to start the school year with your libraries’ automation program. Follow up appointments may be scheduled for onsite visits during this class. You will have time for lunch on your own.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
Office: (585) 349-9099