I hope everyone had a safe, restful and enjoyable weekend. Please see below for updates regarding our various eBook partners.
1. Within the Gale Cengage eBook collection we have an amazing literature reference collection (most useful for secondary). These can be directly accessed from your Follett Destiny Catalog or by visiting your school’s Gale Virtual Reference Center. Note, if you are not sure how to do this, please contact Jim Belair
· Attached are samples found in Poetry For Students. This is a text currently being used in the 10th Grade ELA Modules (The Passionate Shepherd and the Nymph’s Reply to the Shepherd).
· Novels for Students
· Drama for Student
· Short Stories for Students
· Poetry for Students
· Shakespeare for Students
· Nonfiction Classics for Students
· Literary Movements for Students
· Literary Newsmakers for Students
· Literary Themes for Students
i. Race and Prejudice
ii. The American Dream
iii. War and Peace
· Gale Contextual Encyclopedia of World Literature
2. Recently our ebrary subscription underwent a major and much needed upgrade!
· We now have access to over 100,000 eBook titles (most at the upper high school or academic level)
i. Please share this with AP and IB Teachers
· These titles are unlimited simultaneous access
· They updated the site to make it more user friendly and intuitive
i. The ebrary app was discontinued
ii. It is now easier to read eBooks online
iii. Users can download titles using the Blue Fire app
· There are several titles that would be appropriate for Elementary and Middle school as well
i. Rotten Ralph Series
ii. The Giver Series
· Only the previously owned titles are in your Follett Destiny system (mostly high interest fiction (around 100 titles) and many professional ACSD titles (around 100 titles)
3. At the end of August, our Rosen Spotlight on NY eBooks were updated. The previous titles were replaced with a completely new and revised titles.
· The links within your Follett Destiny are not working. Rosen is in the process of generating new MARC records. When they arrive, Karen will work on updating everyone’s collection
· The link off of the SLS website will work to access the titles. So will: http://rosenlearningcenter.com.
· Embedded directly within the titles are Common Core aligned teacher lessons and handouts
· These are geared for grades 4-8
· Attached is a flyer on the updated titles
4. In the spring, Capstone released an iPad app. This will allow users to download from our Capstone collection titles onto their iPads. We currently own 60 different titles. The app will allow a user to download up to 20 times. Once titles are downloaded, a network connection is not required.
5. We are continuing to develop our Axis 360 Collection. We are not recommending you release this for general student usage. However, we would highly recommend you pilot it with a couple students and teachers who are “good” with this type of thing.
· Each school can purchase additional eBook (or audio book) titles which will only be accessible for students/staff within their school
i. These can be purchased through BOCES SLS and receive state aid
· If your schools has a One-to-One initiative taking place, this will be a great option for you to use!
6. With some of the eBooks, we have noticed problems with pages not loading correctly or timing out. If you notice this happening, we suggest you try a different browser.
7. We just placed an order to purchase additional eBook titles from Cavendish Square (the new name for Marshall Cavendish). Attached is an excel spreadsheet listing the new titles on order. Stay tuned for more information.
If you would like more information on these eBooks (or any other ones) please let me know. I would welcome the opportunity to visit you and your school to discuss our regional eBook collection.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
Office: (585) 349-9099
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|Excel Microsoft Office Open XML Format Spreadsheet|