1. I have been working with several schools to help them redesign their library website, especially to make it easier for students and teachers to access the eResources (Online Databases, eBooks, Video Streaming, Follett Destiny…). If you would like assistance with this, please let me know and I can come out and help you set this up.
2. Upcoming Professional Development:
· Destiny Refresher Sept 17 from 3:45-4:45 at CaTS. This one hour session will cover the Destiny Library Manager calendar, global recall date, One Search set-up and testing, email overdue notices, and a review of your library's site configuration and settings.
· Axis 360 eBook Collection Sept 25 from 3:45-4:45 at CaTS. We are excited to present our latest eBook acquisitions- popular fiction titles from Axis 360. During this hands-on workshop, we will show you how to access these one-user-at-a-time eBooks, create your own custom account, and how to download them to your mobile device.
· Copyright Workshop Oct 6 (Monroe 2 BOCES) or Oct 9 (Monroe 1 BOCES). Full day. Please save the date for a full day workshop on copyright. We will focus on user created content in the digital age. More information to follow on this free event. Open to all teachers, librarians, administrators, technology staff. Note- registration is limited, please register early to assure you have a space!
· For a complete listing of all Fall 2014 SLS workshops, please visit: http://www.monroe2boces.org/SLS.cfm?subpage=3255
3. For librarians, please use this when filling out your BEDS report:
· Online Databases: 11 from NOVELny PLUS 4 from BOCES = 15. PLUS any additional ones you purchase
· eBooks: 1,965 from BOCES PLUS any you have purchased. Note, this number does NOT include Axis 360 titles
4. The NYS Office of Information Technology Services’ Enterprise Information Security Office is hosting the “NYS K-12 Kids Safe Online Poster Contest” during the month of October in conjunction with “National Cyber Security Awareness Month” activities. Attached is an informational flyer that can be distributed to all parents, teachers and students in NYS public, private and home-schools, inviting students to participate in the contest.
· The “NYS K-12 Kids Safe Online Poster Contest” information web page is www.dhses.ny.gov/ocs/awareness-training-events/events/2014/2014-15poster.cfm.
· 2013-2014 NYS winners can be viewed at www.dhses.ny.gov/ocs/awareness-training-events/events/2014/2014-poster-winners.cfm
· Entry deadline is November 26, 2014
5. Gale now has search widgets for their databases! This will allow you to place a database search box on your website (or a teacher can place it on their website). For more information: Download widgets.
· Example: Intermediate Grade 4 teacher can place Kids InfoBits on their webpage as a source for students and parents to use
· Example: Middle School US History teacher can place US History in Context on their webpage as a source for students to use
· Example: High School English Teacher can place Opposing ViewPoints in Context on their webpage as source for students to use
6. The American Library Association is now accepting applications for the 2015 Sara Jaffarian Award. The $5,000 award recognized K-8 schools for exceptional programming in social studies, poetry, drama, art, language arts, culture, or other humanities subjects.
· More information at www.ala.org/jaffarianaward. The deadline is Dec. 15.
7. Registration is open for the November 5-8 NYLA Conference being held in Saratoga Springs. Attached is additional information AND information regarding school-related events
8. If you are interested in participating in the Cool Tools project this year please let me know. This was ran last year by Polly Farrington- it was an Online Learning Community where various tech tools were discussed and participants had hands on activities to use them with their students. Polly will be doing it again this year.
9. Attached are the September and October 2014 Highlights from WXXI.
10. Reminder- if you make changes/updates to the Quick Access Card Patti Rose recently sent out, please send a revised copy to Patti. This will allow us to make any needed updates to the card version you are using. If you need a new card sent out to you, please let Patti know.
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
Office: (585) 349-9099
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|