1. The updated Rosen Spotlight on NY eBooks are now uploaded into your Destiny catalog
· The updated titles all contain printable handouts, lesson plans and Common Core Standards alignments
2. Registration is now open for the 2014-2015 Cool Tools Professional Development Online Learning.
· Attached is a flyer explaining this
· If you commit to doing at least five of the modules, the SLS will pay your registration costs
· Please email Jim Belair by October 24 if you are interested in doing this
3. Media Library Updates:
· Gates Chili is the latest district to come aboard for Ensemble for hosting/storing/viewing/dropboxing user created content. For questions on this, please contact Joshua Perks
· The PBS Series “The Roosevelt’s” available is available via Off-Air. To request a copy please use the Off-Air Request Form
· The October, 2014 WXXI Education e-Newsletter is now available
4. Great website which correlates Bloom’s Taxonomy levels to various online web tools. The tools are all hyperlinked. http://faculty.indstate.edu/spenney/bdt.htm
· Thank you to Stephanie Harney (Hilton QUEST Elementary) for sending this my way J
5. ALA published a new eBook called “School Libraries Make the Difference”. To read this book (for free) visit: www.ilovelibraries.org/school-libraries-make-difference
· Focuses on the importance of quality school libraries and certified school librarians for student success at all education levels
· Facts about student success, lifelong learning and college and career readiness
· Infographics and videos produced by state school library associations help to illustrate the importance of quality school library programs
· Tips for getting involved range from visiting a school library to writing op-eds for local publications
6. The Rochester Public Library has added the attached listing of Professional Education titles to their collection at the Rundel Library
7. Reminders regarding InterLibrary Loan
· Your students and teachers have the ability to borrow from almost every public or nonpublic school library in the Greater Rochester Region (use Five System)
· Your students and teachers can borrow books from MCLS and Pioneer Library System- please contact Patti Rose for more information
· Your students and teachers can borrow books from area colleges and universities within the Greater Rochester Region- please contact Patti Rose for more information
8. Upcoming Professional Development opportunities
· Ensemble for the Flipped Classroom (Oct 22 3:30-5:00) The flipped classroom is a form of blended learning in which students learn new content online by watching video lectures, usually at home, and what used to be homework (assigned problems) is now done in class with teachers offering more personalized guidance and interaction with students instead of lecturing. This course will cover some best practices when using Ensemble Video in a flipped environment.
· Accessing eBooks Through Destiny (November 5 3:45-4:45) Discover how easy it is to find and use an eBook provided by the School Library System using your school's Destiny (online library catalog). Professional development titles, picture books, informational texts and more are easy to locate and access through Destiny. Around 2,000 titles are available!
9. The tenth annual Teen Book Fest (TBF) is coming and to kick off the year, TBF is holding their annual TBF Read-a-Thon with a special visit from Laurie Halse Anderson! All are welcome to join in the fun. Please share the attached flyer with interested teens and be sure to join us at Barnes & Noble on November 1st for Laurie's presentation and book signing.
· November 1st, 3:30-5:00pm - Barnes & Noble, Pittsford Plaza
10. Save the date for the Wayne Finger Lakes Library Leadership Academy. It will be held December 11, 2014 in Newark. More information coming soon!
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
Office: (585) 349-9099
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|