1. Earlier this week Jane Reeves sent out a Simply Destiny Blog about links for Destiny. Please take a few minutes to review this
· It contains direct links for each school’s Classic, Quest, and Visual Search
i. Example of a Visual Search from Churchville Chili High School set up (this is a work in progress that was recently started): http://library.cccsd.org/cataloging/servlet/presentvisualsearchdisplayform.do?&site=100
ii. Contact Library Automation Team for help with setting one up for your school!
· It contains directions on creating direct links to books or resource list in Destiny
2. Each Gale Database (and eBooks) now have widgets you can place on your library’s website. A widget will allow a student to search the database’s content from a main website.
· Example from Gates Chili Middle School: http://www.gateschili.org/middle_school.cfm?subpage=4926
· Example from Spencerport Middle School: http://www.spencerportschools.org/cosgrove_middle.cfm?subpage=7221
· If you would like help setting this up for your webpage please contact Jim Belair
3. We just ordered several new eBooks from Encyclopedia Britannica. All titles ordered are in support of the new Social Studies Common Core Framework. Attached is a listing of titles. Stay tuned for more information. The attached excel spreadsheet contains the following information
· Common Core Framework alignment (such as 4.3 or 9.5)
· Grade Level
· Lexile or guided reading level when available
· Subjects and Description for each title
4. Media Department Updates
· iPod Shuffles:
i. Currently around 400 (out of 700) shuffles are in use
ii. The loan period for the shuffles is 3 weeks. Next week the Media Library will start to send out overdue notices. If you would like to keep them longer, please contact Joshua Perks.
iii. Due to licensing changes we are not able to add additional titles to our collection from the Apple Store. We are investigating other options. BUT we are requesting that you still send in audio book purchase suggestions
· Ensemble Users: Joshua Perks would welcome the opportunity to visit your school and work with teachers (small group or even individually) on using Ensemble. He can come during a teacher’s planning period or lunch period.
i. Current Ensemble subscribers include: Brockport, Churchville Chili, Gates Chili, Hilton, and Spencerport
5. NYLA/SSL released a position paper to expand the current school librarian mandate to include elementary school librarians. To read the position paper please visit: http://nylassl.weebly.com/uploads/1/4/7/0/14700198/nyla_sslelementarylibpositionstatementfinal.pdf.
6. WXXI Updates:
· Yesterday WXXI aired a special edition of Second Opinion- Ebola (produced in Rochester). This was taped earlier this week. If you would like a copy sent to you on DVD please fill out this form
i. There is a YouTube copy of this available at: http://secondopinion-tv.org/episode/ebola.
· Thomas the Train is coming to WXXI on November 8. Families need to pre-reserve a time slot (10, 11, 12 or 1). For more information, http://interactive.wxxi.org/highlights/2014/10/thomas-friends-meet-greet
7. Visuwords™ is an online graphical dictionary. Use it to Look up words to find their meanings and associations with other words and concepts. Produce diagrams of the words http://visuwords.com/. (thank you to Stephanie Harney for sharing)
· Enter words into the search box to look them up or double-click a node to expand the tree
· Click and drag the background to pan around and use the mouse wheel to zoom
· Hover over nodes to see the definition and click
· drag individual nodes to move them around to help clarify connections
8. The 18th Annual Children’s Book Festival will Saturday November 15 from 10-4 at MCC. This is designed as a hands on event for families to bring their young children to. For more information: http://www.rochesterchildrensbookfestival.com/.
9. Final call for Cool Tools registration. If interested in signing up please contact Jim ASAP
· To date the following are interested (please let me know if I left someone off): Karen Arendt (Wheatland Chili), Sara Baglioni (Kendall), Ella Berenstein (Greece), Angela Boccuzzi-Reichert (Hilton), Amanda Cordovani (Spencerport), Christine Gates (Churchville Chili), Stephanie Harney (Hilton), Susan Meck (Churchville Chili),
· For more information: http://cooltoolsforschool.wordpress.com/
· For a listing of topics: http://cooltoolsforschool.wordpress.com/schedule
Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES
School Library System Director
3625 Buffalo Rd
Rochester, NY 14624
Office: (585) 349-9099
|Excel Microsoft Office Open XML Format Spreadsheet|