1. eBook Update:
· 522 new eBook titles from StarWalk Kids is now entered into your Follett Destiny catalog.
i. All titles will read and highlight to students
ii. All titles contain lexile and Fountas and Pinnell levels
· The newest Spotlight on NY eBook Strengthening Democracy in NY State is also now in your Follett Destiny catalog.
2. Space is filling up quickly for the Inquiry Based Learning Workshop with Dr. Barbara Stripling. If you have not registered yet, please contact Patti Rose to reserve your slot. It is strongly encouraged for teachers and librarians to jointly attend this workshop together. Attached is a flyer for this event.
3. RRLC's annual Library of the Year contest runs April 5-18, 2015. Attached is more information about the contest as well as a printable poster to help you promote the contest. Here's your opportunity to promote the great work you do and encourage your staff and students to share why they love their school library!
4. Grant Opportunity: The NYS EMTA Media Literacy Project Grant is open to all NYS Educators working with K-12 students. This grant, which supports the promotion of media literacy, is for $1,000 for a 1 year period and 2 grants are awarded each year. Applications are due May 15, 2015. Please share the information with teachers in your schools.
5. Pittsford Central School District librarians and teachers recently completed a Research and the Common Core handbook. This is a remarkable tool that they have given us permission to share. http://pittsfordschools.org/programs.cfm?subpage=59811.
6. WXXI (PBS) Update
· The PBS Kids Writing Contest from students in grades K-3 is now open. The deadline is Friday, April 3.
· Homework Hotline is looking for schools to participate in their student book reviews segment. To view previous examples please visit: http://www.homework-hotline.org/ela. Attached are two documents for this. For more information, please contact Lisa Famiglietti at 585-258-0392 or email at email@example.com
7. News from the Democrat and Chronicle:
· Reminder, every school has access to the Democrat and Chronicle e-edition (use your eBook username/password): http://rochesterdemocrat.ny.newsmemory.com/nie.php
· The serial story “From Seneca Falls to the Polling Booth” will be running in the e-edition only every Monday from March 9 to April 27. It’s an 8-chapter non-fiction study of the women’s suffrage movement, beginning with the landmark convention in Seneca Falls and leading to the ratification of the 19th Amendment and the first national elections in which women were permitted to vote.
· In addition to the story, a teaching guide with graphic organizers, audio podcasts of each chapter, and a virtual “Meet the Author”/discussion blog are offered. The blog will be monitored and each posting will be approved before it appears on the site. Teachers interested in setting up a live interactive video cast may contact the author, Mike Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange details.
8. Grant Opportunity: Author James Patterson and Scholastic are providing $1.25 million dollars to school libraries in grants ranging from $1,000-$10,000. For more information or to nominate a library please visit: http://www.scholastic.com/pattersonpartnership/?.
· Nominations can be from the librarian, principal, teacher, administrators, or parents
9. Attached is an updated listing of workshops being held by RRLC
11. Interesting Copyright Case….http://www.8newsnow.com/story/28351544/bar-owner-fined-over-copyrighted-music
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|doc file: You need the Microsoft Word application to view this file, or a program that can import Word files. To learn more about this software before purchasing it, visit the Microsoft Word website.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|