1. We are pleased to announce Lindsay Neumire will be joining our team on September 21 as our new Library Media Specialist. Currently, Lindsay is a Library Media Specialist in the Warsaw Central School District. We are excited to welcome Lindsay to Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES!
2. Over the summer Jim Belair sent a letter to principals in Brockport, Churchville Chili, Gates Chili, Hilton, Holley, Kendall and Spencerport. Next month he will be emailing principals in Greece and Wheatland Chili. The letter was to outline BOCES services and offerings and to offer professional devolvement to teachers. It also was a way to advocate for all the outstanding work and things you can do and provide. If anyone has any questions on this, please let Jim know.
3. We have added two new sets of eBooks to our collection. Both are from Rosen Publishing
· Spotlight on American History: focuses on the American Revolution (for more information on this series, click here)
· Spotlight on the 13 colonies. (for more information on this series, click here)
· The grade ranges for these are 4th to 8th grade
· They are aligned to the new Social Studies C3 Framework and Common Core Standards
· Each set contains a teacher’s guide that give a great breakdown of the C3 Framework. Also included are graphic organizers aligned to the Information Fluency Continuum (IFC)
· In a few weeks we will be receiving MARC records. When we do, we will upload them to your Follett Destiny system
4. Registration is now open for Dr. Barbara Stripling’s workshop: Inquiry Based Research Projects that Sizzle. This is a regional PD being done with Monroe #1 BOCES.
· Thursday September 24, 2015 from 8-3 at 15 Linden Park
· To register, please follow your standard district guidelines. Also, please let Patti Rose (email@example.com) know
· It is encouraged that teacher/librarians pairs/groups attend so they can collaborate together on projects
· Please pass this along to anyone you think might be interested
5. We have a trial to Abdo Zoom Animals Database. This is a K-3 database about animals.
· Trial is until 10/3/15
· Username: boces2 Password: boces2
6. Fall 2015 Professional Development. Please see the attached document for more information
· Sept 24: Inquiry Workshops that Sizzle with Dr. Barbara Stripling. (8am-3pm)
· Sept 30: How to Create Proper Source Citations for Bibliographies (3:45pm-4:45pm)
· Oct 14: An Introduction to 3D Printing (3:45pm-4:45pm)
· Nov 4: Minecraft in Schools (4pm-5pm)
· Nov 12: Copyright Q&A (Half day at Monroe 2 in am and Half day at Monroe 1 in pm)
· Nov 18: Media Portal Tools to Use With Students (3:45pm-4:45pm)
· Dec 2: Accessing eBooks through Destiny (3:45pm-4:44pm)
· Dec 16: Using Ensemble to Store and Share User Created Content (3:45pm-4:45pm)
7. Attached are the results from the 2014-2015 SLS End of Year Evaluation. Next week we are going to start following up with specific librarians on questions they may have asked in the evaluation.
8. If you have any questions regarding the Access Cards that were sent out please let us know.
· These cards contain information on accessing resources and services from BOCES SLS and Media Library. They also contain information on accessing databases your school purchases.
· There are still a few vendors Patti Rose is working with to standardize your usernames and passwords. As they are updated, you will receive a new Access Card from either Patti or Diane or Diane Sciabbarrasi.
9. If you would like assistance updating your library’s website (especially the Online Databases section) please let Jim know. Jim can come out and help you set it up and in many cases provide direct links to each of your eResources.
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|