1. With the introduction of several new team members within the SLS and Media Library, we wanted to send out a quick “who does what” listing. Note- we all do much more than what is listed here- these are the “bigger ticket” items you may need to contact us for.
· Lindsay Neumire: Training on SLS and Media Library resources, Ensemble, LibGuides (after October 9), technology integration support
· Diane Sciabbarrasi: iPod Shuffles, new users into Media Library, InterLibrary Loan, access cards
· Patti Rose: Online databases ordering and access, statistical usage, professional development registration
· Jane Reeves: Library automation, online database support, 5 Systems, Lib Guides
· Karen Mitchell: Library automation, eBook MARC records, Mitinet support
· Jim Belair: Supervises, support, long term planning and manages the SLS and Media Library
2. St. John Fisher College needs your help with placing 30 pre-service teachers in a K-8 library setting. Part of the teacher certification program at STFC is each pre-service teacher must complete three hours observing in a library. The purpose is for them to learn how to collaborate with the library staff and to learn about the resources and expertise we can offer them. If you are interested in assisting with this, or if you would like additional information, please contact Kathi Sigler (firstname.lastname@example.org or 385-8140).
3. Last year the Rochester area School Library Systems held a full day workshop on copyright in the digital age. One item which came out of this workshop was the need for a Copyright Question and Answer session. With that in mind, the Rochester Area SLS’s are offering a half day workshop which is designed as a Q&A session! Participants are encouraged to send Jim Belair (email@example.com) there questions in advance. Time permitting we will take questions at the workshop. Attached is more information. Please forward this to anyone you think may be interested.
· November 12 8am-11am at ESC Building (Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES)
· November 12 12pm-3pm at 15 Linden Park (Monroe #1 BOCES)
4. Fall 2015 Professional Development. Please see the attached document for more information
· Oct 14: An Introduction to 3D Printing (3:45pm-4:45pm)
· Nov 4: Minecraft in Schools (4pm-5pm)
· Nov 12: Copyright Q&A (Half day at Monroe 2 in am and Half day at Monroe 1 in pm)
· Nov 18: Media Portal Tools to Use With Students (3:45pm-4:45pm)
· Dec 2: Accessing eBooks through Destiny (3:45pm-4:44pm)
· Dec 16: Using Ensemble to Store and Share User Created Content (3:45pm-4:45pm)
5. Video Streaming reminder….a few years back teachers were encouraged to go directly to Learn 360 for video streaming. This is no longer the case! Over the past few years we have added several new vendors to our Media Library. Please remind your teachers that they should visit the Media Library to access the content
· Streaming partners now include: Learn 360, CCC!, PBS LearningMedia, plus many additional smaller ones
· In addition to video streaming, many images and SMART Board interactives can be found in the Media Library
· The Media Library is also where teachers can borrow audio books on iPod Shuffles, Flip Camcorders, Web Cams and Still Cameras
· If you need an account, please complete the online form
6. Over the past few years we have done a lot of work in our region around the IFC (Information Fluency Continuum). This is an awesome tool that if you are not familiar with, please ask me or another librarian in your district.
· The full IFC (Including Word version of all graphic organizers) can be found by visiting www.monroe2boces.org/ifc
· A useful LibGuide created out of NYC…it links the IFC by skill to the various phases of Inquiry: http://nycdoe.libguides.com/skills
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|