1. On November 12 there will be a half day workshop on copyright. The morning session will be held at Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES (Spencerport) and the afternoon session at Monroe #1 BOCES (Linden Park). The format of this is Q&A and a copyright legal expert will be on hand to answer your questions. Please see the attached document. This is open to anyone interested.
2. SLS Information:
· Attached are the minutes from the September 2015 SLS Council Meeting.
· Attached are the tabulated results for the SLS/Media End of Year evaluation which was completed by librarians in our region.
· The SLS has an Institutional Membership to the New York Library Association (NYLA). This means you can join NYLA for a discounted rate through BOCES.
i. Membership rate is $75 versus the regular $100
ii. We are able to accept a RAS (Request for Additional Services) from your district
iii. For more information, please contact Jim Belair
3. We are VERY fortunate to have an extensive Talking Book and Braille Library in NY which has thousands of books available for the visual impaired and it is 100% FREE! You, the school can borrow items for students or you can help the family to borrow directly from them.
· For more information: http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/tbbl/youth.htm)
4. Churchville Chili has a library media specialist posting for Chestnut Ridge Elementary School. This is a newly renovated K-4 library. The current librarian is retiring.
· The application deadline is 10/15/15
5. BrainPop has two new modules: BrainPop Francais and BrainPop Hebrew. Anyone with the BrainPop Combo has access to these.
6. Letters About Literature is a reading and writing contest for students in grades 4-12, sponsored by the Library of Congress National Center for the Book and Dollar General. Students are asked to read a book, poem, or speech and write to that author (living or dead) about how the work affected them personally.
· Please see the attached document for more information
· The website is: : http://www.read.gov/letters/
7. Workshop proposals for the 2016 NYLA/SSL Conference are now being accepted. This year’s conference theme is "Capitalizing on the Past, Revolutionizing the Future." The conference will be hosted by ENYSLMA, will take place May 5-7, 2016 at the Desmond Hotel in Albany.
· The conference website at http://www.ssl2016albany.org/.
· The deadline to submit workshop proposals is October 13.
8. The New York State Library is beginning to prepare for the selection of NOVELNY databases for 2017. They would appreciate feedback from the library community.
· Short survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/936CNT3
· The deadline is November 12
9. WXXI Information:
· WXXI is holding an educational event called Starting Early for Success on October 20 from 3:30-5:30 featuring Paul Siefken, Vice President, The Fred Rogers Company. This will take place at WXXI on State St. RSVP: (585) 258-0200.
10. Fall 2015 Professional Development. Please see the attached document for more information
· Oct 14: An Introduction to 3D Printing (3:45pm-4:45pm)
· Nov 4: Minecraft in Schools (4pm-5pm)
· Nov 12: Copyright Q&A (Half day at Monroe 2 in am and Half day at Monroe 1 in pm)
· Nov 18: Media Portal Tools to Use With Students (3:45pm-4:45pm)
· Dec 2: Accessing eBooks through Destiny (3:45pm-4:44pm)
· Dec 16: Using Ensemble to Store and Share User Created Content (3:45pm-4:45pm)
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|