1. 26 new eBooks from Rosen are now loaded into your Follett Destiny Catalog
· They are the American Colonies series and American History (focus on Revolutionary times)
· Each book is written at a 4-8 grade reading level
· Each book has lesson plans aligned to the IFC
· Each book contains a teacher guides which is aligned to the new Social Studies framework
· No need to log in from school- just click the link from Destiny or visit: http://rosenlearningcenter.com/
2. Learning A-Z has made the following updates:
· Interactive tools that allow students to practice self-directed annotation strategies and improve reading comprehension
· An eJournal that allows students to expand understanding of new words and improve their vocabulary
· Features that will be released shortly:
i. Individual Word Audio playback that reads individual words aloud to students to support phonics and fluency development
ii. Vocabulary Cards that provide additional information and context about key vocabulary words
iii. eQuiz Constructed Responses that promote critical thinking skills and help to strengthen the reading and writing connection
3. Jim Belair is collecting information on Minecraft being used in school libraries. If you are using this please let him know. Also, in the near future we will have this available as a BOCES add-on.
4. The NY State Department of Education is now accepting applications for Teacher of the Year. Please visit http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/toty/home.html for more information.
5. LibGuides Update:
· Message from Lindsay Neumire: Thank you to all of you who’ve been trying out LibGuides. Keep your feedback/questions coming! Because our libraries are all working under the same subscription, our LibGuides assets are all shared. Any time you create an asset, it will also show up in the asset list of everyone else in our region. This is a great benefit for collaboration and resource sharing- but, we will all have to be careful and clear in naming/describing our assets. This is an issue Jane & I struggled with as we were starting to create guides. We are in the process of adding all of your database URLs as links (assets). More information will be forthcoming.
· We will also be spotlighting various LibGuides that are built. This is a great way to resources and ideas! This update is about MakerSpaces at Holley JR/SR High School. http://libguides.monroe2boces.org/holleymaker
6. Attached is a listing of next month’s WXXI off-air opportunities. If you would like BOCES to record any of these (or other shows) please fill the Off-Air Recording Request.
7. Attached is an updated Media Literacy Grant Application from the EMTA (Educational Media Technology Association). This is ONLY for schools in NY. This specific grant is ideal for someone new to grant writing and it is for a decent amount ($1,000). If you have questions on this grant please let Jim Belair know.
8. The SSL (Section of School Librarians) newsletter is now available: http://www.nyla.org/max/4DCGI/SSL_Update.html.
9. The Friends & Foundation of the Rochester Public Library is now accepting entries for the 2016 SOKOL HIGH SCHOOL LITERARY AWARDS contest for Monroe County student writers in grades 9 - 12. Entries are being accepted through January 29, 2016. Again this year, there are cash prizes for the best original student prose, poetry and performance.
· Please share the attachment with your students and direct them to the website for more information, including submission instructions, frequently asked questions and last year's winning entries: www.Sokol.ffrpl.org.
10. There is an active trial for InfoBase Learning products right now.
· To access the products: http://online.infobaselearning.com
· Username: slsa1 Password: factsonfile
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|