1. The American Association of School Librarians (AASL) is holding a national conference called Gaming As Meaningful Education (GAME). The conference will be held in Rochester September 23 & 24.
· Attendees will explore how to implement interactive learning opportunities in their library program through all types of games. They will also discover how these strategies connect communities – students, parents, and educators – through the educational, recreational, and social value of games.
· For more information: http://www.ala.org/aasl/game#reg
2. The Monroe 2 Orleans BOCES SLS is thrilled to announce we will sponsor 5 scholarship for school librarians in the Monroe 2 Orleans BOCES region to attend the Gaming As Meaningful Education conference.
· Attached is the application. It is a short, 1 page application
· The SLS will pay the AASL membership rate to attend the conference
· Scholarship winners are then asked to turnkey what they have learned to their school, district, BOCES, other…
3. Within in our Media Portal, students and teachers have access to over 500 audio books. It is now possible to direct link to the request form to borrow an audio book. If you would like additional information on this please contact Lindsay Neumire. Note- this could be a great addition to a LibGuide, Resources Page, Web Site, email to teachers to promote something… Below are a few examples:
· The Things They Carried: http://webmax.monroe2boces.org/tomms2/index.php/snap/login/sso_search/search/query/local_043322
4. FYI- one of our eBook vendors was recently sold and will be changing its name. StarWalk Kids Media next month will be changing names to Fable Learning. Note- this is the company Seymour Simon started. He recently sold it to Isabella Products. There is nothing you need to do. This is only an awareness piece for you.
5. The 10th annual Digies Digital Media Festival is now open for submissions.
· Attached is a brochure and a poster for this event
· The goal of the festival is to celebrate student work in digital media arts in four categories: Graphic Arts, Interactive Media, Video, and Audio.
· If you have any questions, please contact Brian Mayer from GV BOCES: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Save the Date: This summer we are expanding Tech Camp to be a two day event focusing on Technology, Literacy, and Leadership. It will remain free to attend!!
· August 17 & 18 at the Freddie Thomas Learning Center (yes, it is fully air conditioned)
· If there is a session you would be interested in teaching please let me know
7. Teen Book Festival (TBF) volunteer registration is now open (closes April 1, 2016).
· To register, go to: https://nazareth.wufoo.com/forms/tbf-volunteer- form-2016/
8. For our Middle and High Schools….reminder- within the Gale Databases use the Browse feature.
· Biography in Context: Browse People- can narrow by areas such as African American, Contemporary World Leaders, Philanthropists, Social Reformers, Scientists…
· Science in Context: Browse Topics- Biology, Chemistry, Earth & Environment, General, Math & Engineering, Physics & Astronomy
· US History in Context: Browse Topics- African American Perspective, American Colonies, Supreme Court Cases, Economics, Events/Decades/Cultural Trends, Government Documents, Political Constructs/Movements/Organizations, Wars & Conflict
· World History in Context: Browse Topics- Countries/Cultures/Civilizations, Economics, Events/Periods/Cultural Trends, Human Rights, Political Constructs/Movements/Organizations, Religion, Wars & Conflict
9. Upcoming Professional Development workshops from the SLS & Media Dept:
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|