1. Makerspace Updates
· Last year Spencerport Middle School did an awesome project using the littleBits. The students had to research an issue and then come up with an invention to fix it. I would highly encourage you to watch this 5 minute video to see the possibilities: STEM in 6 Days- littleBits Design Challenge.
· A new LibGuide was created which puts all our Makerspace items into one location: http://libguides.monroe2boces.org/makers. This site is still being built. If you have suggestions (or content to add) please contact Lindsay or Cathy.
· If you would like to schedule any of these items (available now: 3D Printers, littleBits, Makey Makey, Lego Story Visualizer, Green Screen, Learning Alive) (coming soon: Squishy Circuits, Ozobots, Dash and Dot) please contact Lindsay
2. Fall Professional Development
Attached are the Fall Professional Development opportunities available to librarians and teachers in our region. These are free to attend. Please share with your teachers and staff as appropriate.
· LibGuides for Beginners on Sept 27 from 12:30-3:30 (Library Staff or Teachers)
· BOCES 2 Makerspace Kits for Libraries- Secondary on Oct 19 from 8:00-11:00 (Library Staff Only)
· BOCES 2 Makerspace Kits for Libraries- Elementary on Oct 19 from 12:30-3:30 (Library Staff Only)
· So You Think You Know BrainPop on Oct 25 from 3:45-4:45 (Library Staff or Teachers)
· Mitinet Cataloging Tools are Now Online Webinar on Nov 9 from 4:00-5:00 (Library Staff Only)
· Awesome Animated Presentations with PowToon on Nov 17 from 12:30-3:30 (Library Staff or Teachers)
· LibGuides Advanced on Nov 29 from 12:30-3:30 (Library Staff or Teachers)
· Integrating Media Resources into your Instruction- Secondary on Dec 14 from 3:30-4:30 (Library Staff or Teachers)
· Integrating Media Resources into your Instruction- Elementary on Dec 15 from 4:00-5:00 (Library Staff or Teachers)
3. Central Library Local History & Genealogy Division
· Attached please find an invitation to the upcoming October 1st Open House at the Central Library's Local History & Genealogy Division (2nd floor, Rundel Memorial Building, 115 South Avenue, downtown Rochester).
· The new local history Rochester Voices project will be featured at this event
· Please pass this onto any teachers/educators that may be interested
· Attached is an invitation with more details
4. St. John Fisher College is looking for libraries for Pre-Service Teacher observations
· SJFC is looking for elementary libraries that are willing to have Pre-Service teachers spend 3 hours observing a school library media program
· This is beneficial for all involved as it exposes future teachers to the work that is done in libraries
· If interested in this, or if you would like additional information please contact Kathi Sigler: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Survey for school/public library collaboration surrounding summer reading
· The Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP) Ad Hoc Committee on School Outreach is researching ways to potentially increase partnering between schools/school libraries and public libraries for future Summer Reading programs. Currently, schools and school libraries are not able to join the CSLP consortium as members, but many schools have expressed an interest in joining CSLP and in greater participation in Summer Reading.
· The committee has created a survey and asked the State Library to share it with public and school libraries and library systems in order to get as much input as possible on this topic. In addition to completing the survey yourselves, we also ask that you share it among your professional contacts in the education and summer learning communities so that CSLP has a wide variety of responses.
· Link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2017SchoolSurvey
· Deadline is October 7
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|