SLS Update 01/31/2017
1. Best New Books Workshops
· Judy Freeman- Save the Date- May 31 for an all day workshop on best new books for elementary
· Kathleen Odean- Save the Date- June 22 for an all day workshop on best new books for secondary
· More info to follow!
Attached are the February 2017 WXXI Off Air Highlights. Reminder, teachers can request any of these items to be tapped and sent to them via DVD. To request an item please use this form.
3. Embedding resources in Schoology
· Rich Colosi (BOCES 2 ITS assigned to Spencerport) created a great tutorial on using eBooks and streaming videos in Schoology
· eBooks in Schoology: https://ensemble.monroe2boces.org/Watch/Bp5f7L6Z
· Streaming Video in Schoology: https://ensemble.monroe2boces.org/Watch/Hj6e3T5W
4. Bilingual info
· Amazing website from NYC RBE-RN team with tons of resources for English Language Learners (ELL)
· Of interest are various glossaries that translate curricular terms into students native languages
· Sample 3-8 ELA Glossary for ELA in Arabic: http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin/media/users/nbm3/ela_glossary_arabic.pdf
· Sample High School US History & Gov’t in Nepali: http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin/media/users/atn293/hs_us_history_nepali.pdf
5. Upcoming PD from BOCES 2 SLS
Click on the course title to be taken to My Learning Plan to register. Then click the Blue Enroll Button.
· Be a Destiny Ninja: 2/8/2017 from 3:30-4:30. Join us as we demonstrate some Destiny tools you may have forgotten or never knew existed-Destiny Discover, BestMARC, search tricks, uses for Visual Searches, Webpath Express, Reports and more. There will be plenty of time for you to ask questions about anything Destiny, too!
· Creating and Using Infographics in the Classroom: 2/13/2017 from 3:30-4:30. Infographics are the perfect way to convey information to visual learners. Teachers can use infographics to share information with students, and students can use them to demonstrate and share their own learning. In this session, you will learn how to make awesome infographics and how to use them in your classroom.
· Mediapalooza: 3/9/2017 from 12:30-3:30. Whether you're new to the world of digital media, or you've already dabbled in media creation and production before, attending this workshop will enhance your skills with all three forms of media: video, audio, and imagery. You will gain confidence in understanding media formats, as well as increase your skills using various techniques and tools for capturing, converting, creating, and producing your own custom graphics, video clips, and audio. You'll also discover novel uses of the mobile devices and tools that you already have, which will enhance your own content creation and expand student expression. Activities will include strategies, techniques and tools for:
o Converting and editing audio and video
o Creating, cropping and customizing photos, images, and graphics
o Producing screenshots, snips, and screen grabs
o Producing and distributing live motion, animated, and interactive videos Computers and mobile devices will be available; however, participants should bring their own laptop and smartphone or mobile device, along with a collection of digital pictures, photos, and project ideas you'd like to implement in your classroom.
· Ensemble Video: 3/14/2017 from 3:30-4:30. Once students or teachers make digital videos, they are often faced with the problem of how to share these videos with others. The Ensemble product makes storing and sharing videos easy. This workshop will show you how to upload and organize videos and playlists, as well as how to share them easily with students, colleagues and families. Note- Ensemble is a paid product available through BOCES. Brockport, Churchville-Chili, Gates Chili, Hilton, Spencerport and Wheatland Chili currently subscribe to this service.
· Promoting and Advocating Your School Library Media Program: 3/28/2017 from 12:30-3:30. In this workshop, we will discuss ways to advocate and promote our school library programs to teachers, administrators, parents and other school stakeholders. We will share examples of what other schools have done and brainstorm implementation strategies you can use in your school library.
· Screencasting for Beginners: 3/29/2017 from 12:30-3:30. Have you ever wanted to create videos to share with your students, but you weren't sure how to start? This session will give you the information you need to create and share quality screencasts using free tools. You will also be given time for hands-on practice with your own projects.
· BOCES 2 Makerspace Kits for Libraries - Spotlight on Ozobot: 4/5/2017 from 3:30-4:30. Come explore one of the awesome new tools that the BOCES School Library System has for you to use in your library. We will demonstrate the Ozobot robots and give you some ideas of how you can use them with your students. With Ozobots, kids learn how to write code using small, light-sensing robots. Come play and learn with us! Note - Ozobots are intended for use in our district libraries. If a classroom teacher is attending, it is encouraged they do so with the librarian.
· IFC (Information Fluency Continuum) Roundtable Discussion: 4/26/2017 from 12:30-3:30. Participants will be asked to share examples of how their districts are using the IFC. Examples may include use in the library, use by classroom teachers, use with curriculum maps, use for school wide research or more. During the workshop, participants will review the shared examples and create new ways they can adopt/adapt the IFC for their own use.
· Awesome Animated Presentations with PowToon!: 5/3/2017 from 3:00-4:30. PowToon is a user-friendly and intuitive presentation web- based software that allows someone with no technical or design skills to create professional animated presentations. PowToon allows teachers (and students) to create content that is visually engaging, captivating and fun to make. Use dynamic characters, eye-popping images, built in templates and voice elements, and active text sequences to convey your message and capture your audience's attention and imagination.Scholarships for the NYLA/SSL Conference
The Monroe 2 Orleans BOCES is excited to offer SEVEN scholarships to school librarians in the Monroe 2 Orleans BOCES region to attend the NYLA/SSL Conference held in Buffalo on May 4- May 6. This will cover full registration at the NYLA/SSL Member Rate (transportation is NOT included). Please see the attached file called NYLA SSL 2017 Conference Grant Application
||docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.