1. WXXI Updates
· Attached are April WXXI highlights that we can record for teachers at BOCES.
· Attached is info on a new documentary by Ken Burns on the Vietnam War. Also included is information on other veteran items coming up on PBS
2. NYSUT Looking for Articles
· Message from Liza Frenette (NYSUT Communications): Greetings from New York State United Teachers, your statewide union. As you know, in each issue of the magazine NYSUT United there is a column called CHECK IT OUT. This is a place where school librarians or English/reading teachers can recommend books for students from kindergarten through college. NYSUT started the column as a way to showcase librarians. It is quite popular because it provides a service to other librarians and teachers; namely, what books students will enjoy, why they are worth reading, and how they can be used by teachers. It is a great way to highlight great books -- from historical classics to new Caldecott and Newberry winners. The published submissions appear in both the magazine and online at www.nysut.org. We eagerly await book reviews about early chapter books, historical fiction, young adult, picture books, read-a-longs, poetry, etc.
· Sample submissions:
· For more information please contact Liza at: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Online Database Trials
· World and I
i. U: m2o P: trial
· CQ Researcher: http://library.cqpress.com/cqresearcher/
i. U: monroe2 P: trial
ii. Do research for papers, college syllabi or specific issues and topics and in writing classes
iii. Learn more about public policy, law and civil liberties, international affairs, economics, health, education, etc.
iv. Explore both sides of a topic or issue using the Pro/Con section
v. Learn how to cite correctly with our “Using CQR” dropdown menu
· Sage Local and State Stats: http://data.sagepub.com/sagestats/
i. U: monroe2 P: trial
ii. Search data series, created from more than 200,000 government and non-government datasets, in more than 17 topical categories
iii. Save time and discover data they wouldn’t have found otherwise in one convenient place
iv. Discover what data is available without even knowing exactly what they want by searching across popular topics of research interest for U.S. states, counties, cities, metropolitan areas, and ZIP codes
v. View interactive maps of every data series and graphs for every data series that allow users to view the data and look for patterns in an engaging and fun way; create attractive data visuals for presentations and papers
vi. To “Take a Tour” for demos and tips: http://data.sagepub.com/sagestats/static.php?type=public&page=tour
i. They have offered a trial for students to support summer reading
ii. Attached is a document showing how it was used in Greece and Churchville Chili
iii. Please contact Jim if you are interested in more information
4. Future Ready School
· New York has joined 26 other states plus Washington DC in support of the Future Ready Schools effort, which is focused on helping K-12 public, private, and charter school leaders plan and implement personalized, research-based digital learning strategies so all students can achieve their full potential.
· Information on Future Ready Schools can be found at http://futureready.org/.
· There is a great Facebook group for Future Ready Librarians: https://www.facebook.com/groups/futurereadylibrarains
5. Horizon Report
· Great report to learn about upcoming trends and topics over the next five years
· Library Report (new for 2017) : http://www.nmc.org/publication/nmc-horizon-report-2017-library-edition/
· School Report (from 2016): http://www.nmc.org/publication/nmc-cosn-horizon-report-2016-k-12-edition/
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|