You are receiving this email as you are included on the Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES School Library System emailing list. Several times a month we will send out an email similar to the one below or an email focusing on a resource/service available to students and teachers within our BOCES region. If you would no longer like to receive these emails OR if you would like someone else added please contact Jim Belair (email@example.com). All SLS Updates and ROARS are archived on the SLS Website and can be searched by keyword.
1. Online Databases
· Patti Rose has updated all Access Cards- these are great tools to share with your students and staff. If you need Patti to resend a customized Access Card for your school please let Patti know (firstname.lastname@example.org).
· If you need Patti to resend the excel document listing all links and password for all your eResources from the BOCES SLS please let Patti know.
· Reminder- your library database page has several items that need to be changed:
i. NOVELny Removals: Scholastic Go Databases (if you purchased this product your links MUST be updated), Remove Ganett Newstand (Democrat and Chronicle Archives), Remove elibrary elementary
ii. NOVELny Additions: Britannica (you can pick elementary, middle or high), Gale Student Researcher in Context (great middle grade research database)
iii. BOCES items to make sure you have listed: Newsbank America’s Historical Newspapers, Axis 360, WebPath Express, ProQuest eBook Central (merger product of EBL and ebrary)
iv. BOCES item to remove: StarWalk Kids, Mitchell Lane, make sure to remove EBL and ebrary (change to ProQuest eBook Central)
v. All logos are listed on the logo page: http://www.monroe2boces.org/SLS.cfm?subpage=2951
· If you need assistance making changes to your database page please let Jim know (email@example.com)
· Abdo is offering free 30 day trial for their products.
i. Please visit https://bigtimbermedia.wufoo.com/forms/wxog4rf1dqpe0e/ to request a trial
· Britannica is offering several free webinars on using their products which are now part of NOVELny and available to you and your students/teachers for free! See attached document for a complete listing.
2. 3 Apples Book Award
· Book Award sponsored by the New York Library Association
· Kids select the winners of this award
· 3 categories:
i. Young Reader (UPK - 2nd grade)
ii. Children (grades 3-6)
iii. Teen (grades 7-12)
· The top 15 titles in each category will be available for voting starting on November 13, 2017
· Visit www.nyla.org/3apples for more information and to nominate a title
· Also attached is a press release
3. Ask The Lawyer!
· RRLC is working with an attorney to offer advice on intellectual property, digital rights management, vendor contracts, and other legal issues that can impact library operations.
· Questions sent to Ask the Lawyer! will be reviewed by RRLC staff, and sent to counsel for responses.
· This project is being offered in collaboration with the Western New York Library Resources Council.
· For more information please visit: https://rrlc.org/services/ask-the-lawyer/
· Recent questions: https://wnylrc.org/ask-a-lawyer#RAQ
i. Cookbook Recipes as a Textbook
ii. Coursepacks and Copyright
iii. Copying VHS / Changing Formats / Due Diligence
4. Media Library
· We are still using TekData for our Media Library as we finalize the set up for Insignia. Stay tuned for more information on this topic!
· Reminder- BOCES has around 500 audio books available for your students and teachers to borrow on iPod Shuffles. Log into the Media Portal to search and request copies
· Learn 360 has added over 250 new video streaming titles. Click here to view a listing of the new titles.
5. Upcoming FREE Professional Development
· Destiny Discover on Tuesday 9/19/2017 from 3:30-5:00PM
i. Learn how to customize Discover, Destiny's newest search interface, to best meet the needs of your students and staff.
· BOCES 2 Makerspace Kits for Libraries: New this Year! on Friday 9/22/2017 from 12:30-3:30PM
i. Our Monroe 2 Maker collection has grown! If you're ready for some hands-on time with the new kits available for your library, this workshop is for you. Our new kits include Bloxels, Cubelets, Kano computer building kits, LEGO WeDo, and LEGO Mindstorms. For each tool, we will talk about how it works, how it can be used with students, and the educator resources that are available to support you.
· September SLS Trainings on Tuesday 9/26/2017 from 8:00-11:00
i. SLS Training for School Librarians. This session will focus on Destiny Discover, Axis 360, and Newsbank America's Historical Newspapers. This training session will take place in the morning prior to our SLS Council Meeting. All Librarians are welcome to attend. Note- this will take place at the ESC Building in Spencerport.
· LibGuides: You Decide! on Tuesday 10/10/2017 from 12:30-3:30PM
i. Interested in LibGuides, but haven't had the time to dive in? This workshop is your opportunity for hands-on work time with your own LibGuides. You will have the chance to submit questions and topic requests ahead of time- you will decide what we cover! The instructor will review any questions or issues submitted, go over some tips and tricks for creating fantastic guides, take questions, and be there to help while you get to work on your own guides. Because this workshop will be participant-driven and emphasize individual work time, all skill levels are welcome! We will also discuss LibWizard, which can be used to create surveys, forms, and tutorials.
· BOCES 2 Makerspace Kits for Libraries – Spotlight on Robots on Thursday 11/9/2017 from 3:00-4:30PM
i. Come explore some of the awesome tools that the BOCES School Library System has for you to use in your library! We will demonstrate the Dash & Dot robots, Ozobots, and Cubelets and give you some ideas of how you can use them with your students. See how your students can learn important skills, including coding and problem solving, with adorable robots. Come play and learn with us!
· BOCES 2 Makerspace Kits for Libraries: Breakout EDU for the Library on Thursday 11/30/2017 from 12:30-3:30PM
i. Escape rooms are a fast-growing trend in education right now, so how can librarians get in on the action? In this workshop, we will discuss using Breakout EDU kits to create excitement about learning in your library. Come see what the buzz is about: check out the Breakout EDU kits that are available through the Monroe 2 Maker collection, and all of the digital resources that can be used to create content-rich, engaging games. And because there is nothing quite like hands-on learning, you will have the opportunity to play a library-themed Breakout game!
· BOCES 2 Makerspace Kits for Libraries: LEGO Party on Tuesday 12/5/2017 from 3:00-4:30PM
i. Who doesn't love LEGOs? We now have three different kinds of LEGO kits available for our libraries in our Monroe 2 Makers collection. Come see our Story Starter, WeDo, and Mindstorms EV3 LEGO kits. Story Starter is a great way for students to combine storytelling skills with the LEGO app and hands-on building. LEGO WeDo is robotics for the younger set, and Mindstorms takes LEGO robotics to the middle and high school level. For each kit, we will talk about how it works, how it can be used with students, and the educator resources that are available to support you.
· Attached are PD’s being offered by RRLC- they are typically free to attend. A few are ones that would be of high interest to school librarians
· Britannica is offering several webinars on using their products which are now part of NOVELny and available to you and your students/teachers for free! See attached document for a complete listing.
|pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.|
|docx file: You need the Microsoft Word program, a free Microsoft Word viewer, or a program that can import Word files in order to view this file. To learn more about the free Microsoft Word Viewer, visit the Microsoft Office Viewer for Word 2007 File Format.|