Monroe 2-Orleans BOCES is aware of concerns in the community about the spread of COVID-19, caused by the novel coronavirus. We are closely monitoring this fluid situation and following guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH), the Monroe County Department of Health and the New York State Education Department.
BOCES 2 has infectious disease protocols in place and has been taking steps, such as cleaning and disinfecting throughout classrooms, offices and common areas, to minimize the spread of viruses and a variety of other illnesses.
If a student or staff member shows respiratory symptoms listed below, we will follow the NYS Department of Health guidelines in managing the illness:
These symptoms include:
- Mild to severe respiratory illness
- Shortness of breath
If you or a family member begin showing any of these symptoms and suspect it may be COVID-19, contact your healthcare provider. Before going to your healthcare provider’s office, inform them that a case of COVID-19 is suspected, and follow their advice.
There are a number of steps that students, staff and community members can take to minimize the spread of all respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19, according to the State Department of Health:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, with at least 60% alcohol. Heavily soiled hands should be washed.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
BOCES 2 will work with the local health department to take appropriate steps as advised.
For more information:
Please know that, as always, the health and safety of our students and staff is our highest priority.