Memo: The deadline for ordering the 3-8 ELA & Math and 5 and 8 Science exams is November 10.
Highlights & Reminders
- ELA is only available in English
- ELLs attending school for less than one year as of April 1, 2024 are eligible for a one time exemption
- Math and Science exams are available in the following languages
- Chinese (simplified and traditional)
- Students whose home language is other than the above may have an oral translation of the Math and Science exams only
- Translated editions are mandated to be available but it is important for teachers and administrators to look holistically at the student to determine if the accommodation is appropriate to that student.
- Is the student literate in that language?
- New student? Not sure yet? Order just in case
Memo: 3-8 Math, Science, and ELA exams
- Computer-Based Testing
- Multiple week testing window
- Makeups given within window
- ELA & Math: Schools must test the entire grade on the same 2 consecutive days
- Science: Schools must test the entire grade on the same day
- Students taken paper versions of the tests due to IEP, 504 ,or alternate language editions take the same on the same day
- Select two consecutive days within the testing window
Memo regarding the NYSESLAT
The 2024 NYSESLAT for grades 1 and 2 will be split into two separate exams. Grade 1 will take the new version of the test and grade 2 will take the traditional 1-2 test band of previous years.
Additionally, computer-based testing of the NYSESLAT is projected to begin in 2026. NYSESLAT administration in 2024 and 2025 will remain paper-based.