NOTE: Some Access Bio’s CareStart™ COVID-19 Antigen Home Test kits from the BOCES 2 inventory have reached their extended expiration date. There are likely to be a number of this brand of test kits still in the BOCES 2 inventory available to staff and/or parent/guardians of BOCES2 students. PLEASE CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATES BEFORE USING ANY OF THE TEST KITS.
As an example:
Lot #CP22B59 have an extended expiration date of 10/31/2023. The expiration date has not been extended further. The test kits should not be used.
The link below can be used to search test kits by their lot number to determine/confirm current expiration dates.Access Bio CareStart COVID-19 Antigen Test - Shelf-Life Extension (fda.gov)Health Advisory Disposal of Unused Expired COVID-19 Rapid Tests.pdfDisposal of Unused Expired COVID-19 Rapid Tests
• Based on current definitions of RMW, DOH, in consultation with DEC, has determined that unused rapid COVID-19 tests that have expired are not considered to be RMW and can be disposed into the normal waste stream as solid waste.
• In some instances, manufacturers have had the expiration dates of their rapid COVID-19 tests extended by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Prior to disposal of any given test product, you should contact the test manufacturer or go to the manufacturer’s web site to determine if the expiration date has been extended by the FDA.
• When disposing unused rapid COVID-19 tests that have expired, it is strongly recommended that this is done in a manner that limits access to the discarded tests and disposal occurs just prior to removal by your waste management company.
• When disposing of used rapid COVID-19 tests, users should follow the manufacturers’ instructions.
• Since the material looks like medical waste be sure to first check with your solid waste transporter and the disposal facility as to whether they will accept the waste.